No announcement yet.

Sleep Apnea - Sleep Studys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have a lot of problems sleeping at night, and drove my wife crazy with my snoring. A friend told me about how much a CPAP changed his life, so I went in for a sleep study about 6-years ago. They of course, told me I needed a machine (do they ever tell anyone that they don't need one?). However, I had a terrible experience with mine...the first few days I couldn't use it the whole night, I would wake up gasping for air as-if I was being suffocated. It was crazy, almost as-if it was cycling opposite my breathing. I went back and they made some adjustments to the machine, and then I was able to sleep, but I woke up the next morning with literally the worst headache I've ever had in my life. Went back again, they made more adjustments, and again....awful headache in the morning. I went back a few more times for more adjustments, but nothing stopped the morning headaches....and the quack doctor never seemed to take it seriously, almost acted as though I was making it up or something....and I'm telling you, these headaches were like no other I've ever had....the take-you-out-of-commission type.

On my last visit he even asked me, "what would you rather have, a headache every morning or poor sleep every night". Duh!...I'd rather not sleep at all than wake up with that shit every morning.

I never went back, and instead got serious about getting myself in better shape....lost 40 pounds over the following 5-6 months, and haven't had sleep problems since.

I kind of view these sleep doctors in the same frame as those roofers that follow hail storms....ironically, they never come across someone who doesn't need an entirely new roof, just like those doctors never come across someone who doesn't need one of those devices. Some people really do need them, but I'm convinced a lot really don't.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      I must be lucky, I sleep like a fucking stone.

It is very surprising the number of DFWMers using oxygen therapy. I didn't think we were getting that old. Well, except David.
      Am I the token Yoda around here now or what?

David

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
        Am I the token Hoff around here now or what?

David
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I tried the at home test but couldn't sleep, which for me is jacked, cause I was not having any issues at the time with falling asleep. So I ended up having the test in office. Took several hours and we switched out many masks. FYI if you have facial hair it is tricky finding one to seal. Also I personally like the Phillips nasal mask. I hate the full face mask and could never find one to seal up.

I have had mine for a couple of years now and wear it every night. I went in initially because of the wife's complaint of snoring. I am a bit overweight, but snore irregardless or so I have been told. I never felt drained and slept very well. I can't say I feel any different from the mask but she gets her sleep and I know I am oxygenated at least.

Comment

irregardless?

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              irregardless?
              HA! Yes, its an outpost on a remote island near Ireland...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
              X