Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
    Thanks

I just got a Tempurpedic too ... its super soft. I think this may also be a problem.
    Yep. I also notice that I sink further into it, so it's more like sleeping in the mattress instead of on the mattress, making it a lot hotter, and harder to change positions. It's awesome when you first lay down, but the firmer mattress is better for a full night's sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      no personal experience either, but a former coworker went in a couple years back and died
      Happens all the time.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I have/had severe obstructive sleep apnea and it sucks. I have undergone numerous sleep studies and was told that CPAP wasn't an option. So, I have endured 2 major surgeries in the last 12 years to resolve the issue. The first surgery consisted of fixing my deviated septum, nasal turbinate reduction, lasering/scarring of the back of my tongue, tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (removal of my uvula). That helped a lot but as time rolled on, the benefits subsided. Just recently, I was back at the surgeon's office consulting about more surgery. My airway was only 1-2mm wide at rest and creating more issues with my apnea. He championed another round of surgery to finally fix the issue. I ended up having bimaxillary orthognatic surgery that included a 3 piece LeFort I Osteotomy (removal of the upper palate, splitting it into 3 pieces, widening, and reattaching it 6mm forward of its original position), sagittal division of the lower mandibula(split and extended the lower jaw forward 11mm), and a genioplasty (moved my chin up/out 6mm). The resulting 17mm of airway opening has been nothing short of miraculous. Once I am fully healed, I am planning on another sleep study to see just how much the surgery helped. I can already tell that I am sleeping better as I don't need as much sleep to feel energized and I have begun to have dreams again. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a dream, that I could recall, presurgery.

Losing weight will help for some people as well. I wish I could've just lost 20 pound to ease my symptoms but at 6'0" and 175lbs, there isn't much left to lose.

Good luck and hopefully just a mouth guard or CPAP will help you.
        01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
          I have/had severe obstructive sleep apnea and it sucks. I have undergone numerous sleep studies and was told that CPAP wasn't an option. So, I have endured 2 major surgeries in the last 12 years to resolve the issue. The first surgery consisted of fixing my deviated septum, nasal turbinate reduction, lasering/scarring of the back of my tongue, tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (removal of my uvula). That helped a lot but as time rolled on, the benefits subsided. Just recently, I was back at the surgeon's office consulting about more surgery. My airway was only 1-2mm wide at rest and creating more issues with my apnea. He championed another round of surgery to finally fix the issue. I ended up having bimaxillary orthognatic surgery that included a 3 piece LeFort I Osteotomy (removal of the upper palate, splitting it into 3 pieces, widening, and reattaching it 6mm forward of its original position), sagittal division of the lower mandibula(split and extended the lower jaw forward 11mm), and a genioplasty (moved my chin up/out 6mm). The resulting 17mm of airway opening has been nothing short of miraculous. Once I am fully healed, I am planning on another sleep study to see just how much the surgery helped. I can already tell that I am sleeping better as I don't need as much sleep to feel energized and I have begun to have dreams again. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a dream, that I could recall, presurgery.

Losing weight will help for some people as well. I wish I could've just lost 20 pound to ease my symptoms but at 6'0" and 175lbs, there isn't much left to lose.

Good luck and hopefully just a mouth guard or CPAP will help you.
          Oh man, surgery is an option ? I was hoping a CPAP and a slap on the butt and id be done. I too, hope this works.

Comment

Not sure why you would hope for a cpap and be done. I would look at other options for sure. Fuck looking and feeling like your in a intensive care unit to sleep.

Comment

So... I just did the in home sleep test.

Dr called me back and said i have Severe sleep apnea. Makes sense cause im always tired. Only reason i went to get checked was because i could feel myself choking in the middle of the night, also my snoring problem.

Next step is a sleep test in their lab.

Has anyone done this ? What should i expect ? will i be more energized ?

as it stands, i am in bed at 9:30 and get out of bed at like 6:30am... too long to feel this tired.

Hector
              After about a week you're going to feel like a new person. I spent 8 years with severe sleep apnea and got my CPAP. I immediately stopped snoring and waking with dry mouth. My energy levels jumped, my ability to focus and be productive increased. It's day and night with me and it also helped my moods stabilize.
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Maybe I need to go get tested. It doesn't matter if I sleep for 3-4 hours or 7-9 hours I always feel the same and need massive amounts of caffeine to operate.

Comment

Caffeine effects your sleep. Cut caffeine and you'll get more restful sleep
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Do you exercise? Are you overweight?
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      Do you exercise? Are you overweight?
                      I do not exercise anymore. I am bout 5'6" / 190 ... I dont think i am overweight though. Dr said i need to lose about 10 % .

Comment

I just went through this and have been using cpap about two months. I can answer any questions but going through the sleep lab is very similar to the home study except they would hook you up to a cpap machine to see what pressure you would need. I did mine on a Friday night and was out by 6:30 am. I did not sleep well so I had to do mine 3 times before they got enough info for me. I did not do the home study so that was one of the times, The other two were because I did not sleep on the second test so had to have the third. It did take some time to get used to the mask but I am now sleeping most of the night. Snoring, frequent urination and tired all the time are symptoms so congrats on doing something about it.

Comment

Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 11-05-2015, 04:24 PM.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I went to Simple Sleep Services, and tested positive for sleep apnea. I did the at home over night study, and purchased the custom made mouth guard piece. It's suppose to move your lower jaw forward, suppress your tongue, and open your airway.

I tried it for the first time last night, and son of a bitch did I sleep like total shit. First words I heard the next morning - honey, it doesn't work. Damnit. They said to come back and they can adjust the guard, move it forward more. I think I just bought a worthless $500 piece of plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                              Losing 80lbs cured my snoring and sleep apnea
                              Hogwash, why eat right when you can have insurance pay for a machine?

I do not exercise anymore. I am bout 5'6" / 190 ... I dont think i am overweight though. Dr said i need to lose about 10 % .
                              Call it what you want, sounds to me like you're carrying enough extra weight to cause breathing problems at night, 10% isn't a small number when it's what you're carrying extra, and not total bodyfat.

I'd honestly start there, and if you end up still having sleep apnea due to another cause, you'll be healthier in general with less bodyfat, and feel better while awake.

Comment

check with your insurance and see what is covered. If they payed for the sleep study they may pay for cpap or mouth guards. My cpap was 500 because I did not have my deductable met yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X