Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 fever

[flame suit on]

I've discounted any idea that I would have a truck as a daily for a while, but I'm jonesing for a newer F150 crew cab.

Is there a year to avoid, a package that has the best luxury options, and an engine to seek out? Thinking 2011 & newer.

No cow skin rugs here, not tryna lose $7K driving it off the lot (ie buying new).
    Last edited by barronj; 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Get a 2011 and up for sure. I like the ecoboost but if you are trying to save money the 5.0 is cheaper.
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

is the ecoboost more expensive but more economical?

Main reason I'm looking at trucks it to pull a boat (nothing more than 21')
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
        is the ecoboost more expensive but more economical?

Main reason I'm looking at trucks it to pull a boat (nothing more than 21')
        New the ecoboost are like 4k more. They get about 2-3 mpg more than the 5.0 if you stay out of boost. Ecoboost also has a greater tow rating than the 5.0.
        I tow my 20' boat like its not even back there with my ecoboost.
        07 GT500
        05 SRT10
        88 turbocoupe T-bird
        93 Cobra
        86 coupe
        Ducati 848

Comment

4k more? That's huge. Does it come with other stuff also?

Comment

What it boils down to is the best driver of the two (ecoboost vs V8), since I won't tow but once a month, and when I do, it's for short (<10 miles) distances.
            Last edited by barronj; 01-19-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

A buddy just bought a 2013 Ecoboost FX2, and it is very nice.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

So it would appear the EB trucks hold their value better than the 5.0's... The EB is like a $1k option over the 5.0 when buying new...
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I love the interior of the newer king ranch.

sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                    New the ecoboost are like 4k more. They get about 2-3 mpg more than the 5.0 if you stay out of boost. Ecoboost also has a greater tow rating than the 5.0.
                    I tow my 20' boat like its not even back there with my ecoboost.
                    new the ecoboost is something like a $2k option in 2011-2014 body styles. It was 1500 and bumped up slightly. The 2015's come base w/ the smaller ecoboost. The 5.0 is $800 more than the small ecoboost and the 3.5 ecoboost is $400 more than the 5.0. (that was looking at lariats)

From personal experience...staying out of the boost in a loaded supercrew 4x4 w/ the ecoboost we get worse mileage than the 5.0's report. Have never got better mileage than the 5.0 w/ the biggest truck that Ford offered in 2012. Maybe it's different now that they are aluminum but prior to that I call BS.

Personally I would get the 5.0 over the EB if you are getting into a supercrew w/ 4x4. Long term there will likely be less costs associated with maintenance and the MPGs have been better w/ that truck.

If you are buying used almost all of the first couple year ecoboost trucks have a shudder and power loss problem that Ford has not recalled to this day. It typically happens in wet or humid conditions when on the highway and you try to give the truck more gas. The truck will basically go into limp mode (our situation) and some trucks have got problems as bad as losing all power and having to be turned off. Go to the F150 forums and search "ecoboost shudder/shutter" and it will return tons of information for you. I am not an expert but I know they have not been able to fix 1000's of trucks.

Buying used I don't think you can go wrong w/ the 5.0 for all of the above reasons. Both make great power and are overall nice trucks but from personal and "read" experiences there are far more problems with the ecoboost than the 5 liter trucks. I also just read on the 15's that if you tow the 5.0 can tow 2000lb more w/ a larger payload as well... just something to consider w/ how you use a truck.
                    Last edited by akfodysvn; 01-19-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I believe the shudder issue was corrected with a new intercooler in mid 2012 maybe. My 13 has never had issues, and I lived in Oregon where it rains constantly.

Comment

I've got a 2012 FX2 with the 5.0 and I've had zero issues. I considered the EB6 but it was a $1000 markup on the sticker. EB6 prices are different for each trim level, that is why different posters on this thread are mentioning different prices.

I really like my FX2, but after driving the 2015, I'm tempted. The 2.7EB6 feels more powerful than my 5.0. It has only a little less torque but it gets all that torque at a very low RPM. It doesn't hurt that the 2015 is 700lbs lighter. If I were to pull the trigger, I would get a 4x4 Lariat with the 2.7.

BTW, Ford showed off their new 10speed auto in the next gen Raptor. That tranny could be available for the 2016 model year. That should get even better fuel economy..

Comment

I have put 28k miles on my '13 EB SCREW FX2 without a single issue. I wanted to go FX4, but knew that I really didn't need 4wd, and with good AT tires and the locking rear diff, I've never even gotten close to stuck so I don't miss it. I do wish I had the larger 36 gallon tank that the 4WD trucks get.

As far as 5.0 vs EB, I don't think there is that much difference between the two, and either is a good choice now. I do like the low end torque from the EB, and the V6 is really quiet and smooth.

Comment

I went in the door convinced I would be buying a 5.0, but before I chose the final truck I took both of them home for a day, and by comparison the 5.0 just felt lazy to me after driving the EB.

I agree that the fuel mileage is probably more hype than anything though. Mine is a hard loaded FX4, and I drive about ~75% hwy on average...it typically stays around 17mpg most of the time. On long hwy trips its always closer to 20, and I can get better if I'm easy on it, set the cruise around 70, etc. higher hwy speeds kill the MPG quick, though.

I pull a car trailer often, and I'll say that it tows better than some of the older 3/4 ton trucks I've had in the past.

Mine is a 13' and I've got 24K on it now, not a single issue so far. If it were totaled or stolen tomorrow, I'd go buy the exact same truck.
                            70' Chevelle RagTop
                            (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I bought a 2012 FX4 a few months ago with 15k on it and love it. Only option it doesn't have is navigation which I didn't want anyways. It has the 5.0 and I average 14.6 in town, 17-18 on the highway, and I am not really gentle on her. I paid 33k and I think the sticker was 47k on it so I think I did alright. I really like the stereo with subwoofer built in, heated and AC black leather seats, and the center console and shifter is sweet.
                              Last edited by kingjason; 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X