The Cheap/Free 1988 2.3 modification list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol first of all,

AC IS ALREADY GONE. Bought it like that so I'm not adding it. This car is NOT my daily driver so I couldn't care less about AC really. I was thinking about maybe pulling the bumper supports to drop a little off the nose and arse but I'll most likely keep the interior. I've already got an 87 347 coupe that was meant to go fast and I'm about to start a 1300whp 2013 project within the next few months so I'm not trying to make this 4 banger a rocket. This guy is definitely going to be a turd so I'm just having some fun in my spare time.

Eventually (within 5 years maybe) I'll throw a 302 in it to let the girlfriend play but until then, it is going to be a 2.3 turd.

I sort of like the idea of putting the SVO stuff in there and I can find those parts somewhat easily around here so that might be an option, although more money than I feel like spending right now. I guess I'll probably end up dropping the bumpers and fabricating tube bumper supports.

The point of this thread was to see what can be done for cheap/free regardless of power gains. I didn't know if you could throw a 5.0 throttle body on there or remove the EGR stuff or whatever to make it run any better so I'm asking those of you with experience.

Comment

This was 30 bucks

and this was free

Comment

That header is missing the T-4 flange..
        07 GT500
        05 SRT10
        88 turbocoupe T-bird
        93 Cobra
        86 coupe
        Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
          That header is missing the T-4 flange..
          Lol it's also missing the 396 Dart Block

Comment

I always thought removing the a/c system was ridiculous. I always laugh when I hear "Yeah I removed the a/c system to free up some power and cut down weight". Or a few years ago guys would always say "I did a Stage 1-2-3 weight reduction" which really means that the a/c didnt work and they couldn't fix it so they figure they'd remove it and tell everyone that they did it for performance reasons.
            Here's a big news flash, WOT disengages the compressor clutch!
            Last edited by stephen4785; 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0Thunder View Post
              and this was free
              Sweet hot air intake!
              Originally posted by Buzzo
              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Racer Walsh has been doing 2.3 crap for years.
                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

5.0 swap, super super cheap
                  Big Rooster Racing
                  1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Lol Does nobody know of any little crap I can do? Gonna install the header tomorrow and delete EGR/Smog junk. As if the dead horse wasn't beaten to a pulp, I'll remind everybody that the AC was already out before I got it and I don't care enough to add it back in. Lol windows down is what I'm used to anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                      Sweet hot air intake!
                      Doesn't everybody know that hot air increases combustion temps, thus increasing thermodynamic power cycle efficiency?

Comment

So no 5.0 swap cuz 5-700 bucks is too expensive, but in a couple months you'll be doing a 50-60k dollar build? Am I missing something?
                        Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
                          So no 5.0 swap cuz 5-700 bucks is too expensive, but in a couple months you'll be doing a 50-60k dollar build? Am I missing something?
                          Yes, what hasn't been explained is that I'm a graduating mechanical engineering Senior at Texas Tech and I'm currently broke(ish) but looking for fun project stuff I can do for the last month. I'll soon be making 80-90k+bonuses so I could build a real car then. This project is literally all about things I can do for <$100 for the fun of it while I'm still here in Lubbock (If you didn't know, lubbock isn't that fun). I might sell the car once back in Dallas or something, who knows.

Comment

Also, where do you find a complete 5.0 + harness + computer + bellhousing + T5 + driveshaft + rear end for 700? If you can tell me where, I'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0Thunder View Post
                              Yes, what hasn't been explained is that I'm a graduating mechanical engineering Senior at Texas Tech and I'm currently broke(ish) but looking for fun project stuff I can do for the last month. I'll soon be making 80-90k+bonuses so I could build a real car then. This project is literally all about things I can do for <$100 for the fun of it while I'm still here in Lubbock (If you didn't know, lubbock isn't that fun). I might sell the car once back in Dallas or something, who knows.
                              Makes sense... And screw Lubbock!

There was a stock 5.0 with harness and computer for 550 a month ago on CL. Your t5 should work, rearend is 100 bucks. Just need driveshaft and bell. A bit more than I originally thought but not much. There was a running 5.0 hunk of shit complete car for 1000 obo... Complete swap and scrap the rest for 2-300... Bam, swap for less than 800.
                              Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

This has to be an alias.

Comment

Working...
                                X