The Cheap/Free 1988 2.3 modification list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cheap/Free 1988 2.3 modification list

Unfortunately, I can't make this list so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

-Thus far, I pulled the air box/tube and replaced it with a high flow unit (universal cone/flow tube).

-Ordered a 2.3 ranger racing header that I got for 30 bucks shipped, which doesn't allow for the smog/air pump tube that mounts on the factory manifold so I was going to delete that and machine a blocking plate on that area of the intake elbow.

-I also have a guy that will bend me a new mid-pipe in exchange for my factory one so that gives me a cat-delete and a decently free flowing exhaust.

-AC was already deleted before I got the car, and I'm wondering if there is anything else I could delete (keeping power steering and interior) to free up some chumpy power/mpg's,

Is there anything else I can do easily/cheaply besides traditional ignition upgrades? Also, will any tuning be required for what I have listed thus far?

Thanks for the input and ideas guys!

For what it's worth, this is definitely not a serious project or racecar. Lol just a side project for me to play around with before I graduate this May.

Comment

Just drive it it will always be slow.

Comment

Post that 6 more times so you can hit 19,000. Lol

Comment

add the a/c back so you can be slow and cool

Comment

I don't think AC makes me as cool as driving a super fast 4 banger hatchback. duhh!

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0Thunder View Post
              I don't think AC makes me as cool as driving a super fast 4 banger hatchback. duhh!
              All kidding aside, fuck a practice project over ridding with no AC. I usually roll with my windows down, but sometimes it's nice to pick up the shorts and have the AC vent blow straight at my sweaty sack.
              Originally posted by Buzzo
              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

keep a/c, take weight out to make up for it..

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0Thunder View Post
                  You gonna run a billet block and a big turbo or something?
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

This project has turd written all over it.
                    Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

timing bump and 93 octane?

Comment

Fire..... I drove me coupe one time to work here in Oklahoma won't happen again total dog.

Comment

If you want to go fast with a 2.3L you need a whole new intake and a turbo. Those motors are fucking dogs. I've owned a few. Cheap way is to find a reasonably miled turbocoupe or SVO and pull the intake/turbo assembly off of it. Then you can repin your factory harness and install one of their ECU's. If you're not willing to turbocharge it, just forget it right now. Any chevy pickup on the planet will walk you. After all that shit is done, and if you're skilled and smart you can get it going for a reasonable price. If you're half smart or not 100% capable you should just through a 5.0 in it because it will be cheaper. Once all of this is done you will have one of the least reliable cars on the planet.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

the 2.3 in my fairmont even at 2500 pounds it takes full throttle to get that pos to 65mph.

Comment

Working...
                            X