My project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forbes View Post
    looking good... what brake set up are you going to use?
    The stock setup that was on the 3/4T frame with a hydroboost setup and late model master. It has 4 wheel discs already. I'm going to basically cut the firewall out of a new truck where the booster and fuseblock connections are and graft them onto the burb firewall. This way I will still be able to retain ABS and any traction control that might be available.
    G'Day Mate

Comment

Got everything measured out and welded up. It is back to sitting on it's own suspension.
      Hoping to get the body off the old frame tomorrow and possibly set it on this one and start measuring for new body mounts.

G'Day Mate

Comment

Got the body off the old frame and onto the new one yesterday. I've got to modify a brace so I can move the body back another 2.5" then I can fab up mounts and get the body mounted solidly before removing it again and putting it on the rotisserie.

G'Day Mate

Comment

Man that is going to be awesome!

Comment

Are you going to do all the body work?

Comment

All i know is i would never try that shit..

not because i think its dumb.. but because i dont have any of the skills required in such a project cant wait to see the outcome...
              2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. This is gonna kick ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
                  Man that is going to be awesome!
                  Thanks

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  Are you going to do all the body work?
                  Going to do as much as I can. I should be able to replace the rockers and around the wheel wells. but there is a place behind the third door and the pass taillight that I'll probably farm out.

Originally posted by White_lightning View Post
                  All i know is i would never try that shit..

not because i think its dumb.. but because i dont have any of the skills required in such a project cant wait to see the outcome...
                  It's not that hard. Only other things I've done are engine builds/swaps and I built an FJ40 from a bare frame up. Just gotta dive in and have some imagination.

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. This is gonna kick ass.
                  Thanks, I can't wait either. This was one of the milestones in the project and it's nice to get it underway. As soon as I get the body mounts made and get the body hard mounted I can cross this one off and move to body work and finding a donor vehicle.
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

That shit is cool, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                      I built an FJ40 from a bare frame up.
                      Any pics of this? Still have it?

<----Toyota fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
                        Any pics of this? Still have it?

<----Toyota fan.
                        I've got some somewhere I can dig up when I get home.

I never used the FJ so I sold it to fund the Suburban project.

It had a 350/4spd/Toyota X-fer, spring over, shackle reversal, 4 whl discs, and 38's. Was a neat vehicle, but I never used it and wanted to get the burb underway. I've still got my Impala to toy around with if I feel the need while working on the burb,
                        G'Day Mate

Comment

I am not sure how much of a body lift you are planning but there is something you may want to verify. I did a 71 Chevy truck body on a 80s/90s Suburban frame and had an issue with the floor pan hitting the transfer case. I had to build in a couple additional inches of body mount.

*Edit* I'm assuming the torsion bar suspension is still 4wd only. If not, disregard.
                          Last edited by homealone; 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Damn. You still haven't finished that heap?

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                              I am not sure how much of a body lift you are planning but there is something you may want to verify. I did a 71 Chevy truck body on a 80s/90s Suburban frame and had an issue with the floor pan hitting the transfer case. I had to build in a couple additional inches of body mount.
                              No body lift, the body mates up with the frame almost perfectly. I know I'll have to build a new trans tunnel to clear the allison, but other than that I should be good.

Edit, it has torsion bars.
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                Damn. You still haven't finished that heap?
                                Get your ass down here and help, maybe it'll go faster.
                                G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                                X