No announcement yet.

1999 explorer wipers stopped working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 explorer wipers stopped working...

Doesn't move or spray. And at the same time, the window controls do not work. Looked at the associated fuses and they look fine.

Tilt column? If so, turn wipers on and move column up and down and see if they work. I've had the wiring break if the column if moved a lot and also the connectors terminals pull out of the multi function switch.

The GEM module has control over the system and could be at fault as well. The GEM also controls the accessory relay that powers the windows.

Fuse 10, 20, 25, 28 in the "fuse junction panel"(left side of dash I believe) all feed power into the GEM, they're all 7.5amp
    Last edited by shumpertdavid; 04-27-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

OK well I guess last week the sprayers didn't spray for my wife. I drove later that week and the wipers and sprayers both worked. Today I drove it to get it inspected and nothing worked. It was progression I guess.
      Thx shumper, I'll give those fuses a look. Where is this gem thing u speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
        OK well I guess last week the sprayers didn't spray for my wife. I drove later that week and the wipers and sprayers both worked. Today I drove it to get it inspected and nothing worked. It was progression I guess.
        Thx shumper, I'll give those fuses a look. Where is this gem thing u speak of.
        It's what Ford calls their body control module basically. I believe it's in the central part of the dash on the ranger / explorer, bits it's been a while since I had to dig into one. Might also check the maxi fuses in the underhood fuse block. Not likely that's ones blown, but quick easy check.

Comment

I've heard this multifunction switch thing before. Where is this thing at?

Comment

A rag in the gas tank filler neck and a lighter should fix your issue
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Had a similar issue with my windows and some other functions on my f150, turned out being a broken ground in the bundle going from the body into the door. Open door up, pull back rubber boot and inspect the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                Had a similar issue with my windows and some other functions on my f150, turned out being a broken ground in the bundle going from the body into the door. Open door up, pull back rubber boot and inspect the wiring.
                Yep just fixed a customers 08 f-150 last week, three wires broken in bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                  I've heard this multifunction switch thing before. Where is this thing at?
                  It's the fancy name for the turn signal, wiper, hazards, headlight dimmer switch.

Comment

Omg... Wife took the truck to run errands. The wipers and windows worked. She gets home and the window won't go back up and the wipers don't work.

Comment

Did she tilt the wheel? If so, I'd start there. Otherwise get into that wiring bundle at the door/body.

Comment

No tilt. I interrogated her. She got in and drove.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                          Tilt column? If so, turn wipers on and move column up and down and see if they work. I've had the wiring break if the column if moved a lot and also the connectors terminals pull out of the multi function switch.

The GEM module has control over the system and could be at fault as well. The GEM also controls the accessory relay that powers the windows.

Fuse 10, 20, 25, 28 in the "fuse junction panel"(left side of dash I believe) all feed power into the GEM, they're all 7.5amp
                          Never really replied directly. Tilt is rarely used. Wife never uses it. All fuses listed were checked and appear good. As for any further issues, the driver compartment dome lights don't work either. If that helps at all.

Comment

My truck did some weird shit too when that ground wire was breaking/broken. Gauge cluster would light up the door open icon and the dome light would come on while I pressed the window switch 'up'. Its free to check, and lots less PITA than a mfs.

Comment

^^^
                              Yup if fuses are good it sounds like a ground issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X