Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh sweet baby jeebus... Not a wire hunt. Lol

Comment

It could still be the multi-fuckup switch. I've seen those things cause some weird issues. I'd start by replacing that, then while you have the column apart....

check the 2-3 plugs under the column and the dimmer switch and grease up the contacts, check the grounds on the interior lamps/center console cluster and items behind the radio.

I've been all through the harness on my '99 so I know it TOO well lol! so I'd be glad to help.

Comment

I appreciate it. She's wearing me out about fixing it. I'll look and see how much this switch thing is.

Comment

I have the column apart and replaced the multifunction. No change. So where to now?

Comment

Did you check the plugs for the column? I think there are three main plugs under the column. Next I would pull the center section of the dash (two 7mm by the ac knobs and it pops out) and check the plug to the GEM (general electric module) behind the radio and grounds along the harness. The gem is a box where the harness plugs into.

What items are not functioning again? Wipers and squirters, dome lights and what else? Do you get a door or headlight chime? What about turn signals and horn?

Comment

Wipers, squirters, dome, and windows. Turn signals/highbeams/flashers work. Door lock actuates. Googling this reveals that I'm not the only one. But every damned link states the same shit. Check fuses. Check relay. Check for broken wire. Check for ground. Every result from google also doesn't give an end result. This is very irritating. I'll have to check this gem tomorrow maybe...

Baba, what am I looking for when I locate this gem? And how do I know if bad?

Comment

Also, all those plugs looked good. No crimped or broken wires.

According to a wire diagram, the wiper wire is a dark blue wire with orange stripe. Both the motor and multifunction switch are getting power. I 12v test lighted the wire at the switch and at the wiper motor. I also did the same for the fuses in the interior panel and engine panel. They are getting powa.

Comment

And Ill have to check tomorrow for a door/headlight chime.

Comment

Looking at my owners manual, check fuse 26 inside the truck. It lists all the items you described except the wipers. Just clean the contacts and replace the fuse and see if that works.

If it doesn't, I'd say there's a bad common ground somewhere because GEMs hardly ever go bad. Though one bad circuit can effect a perfectly good one since a ton of them plug into it.

I don't think you have any bad components anywhere, just a problem circuit.

Comment

And no big deal changing the multi-fuckup switch, they fuckup all the time so consider it preventative maintenance lol.

Comment

Oh and the GEM is a box about the size of a pack of cigs (if I remember correctly) behind the radio, above the lower air ducts. I'd pull the plug and grease it.

Comment

Did you check the door wiring bundle yet?

Comment

I haven't. I've been working since last I discussed it. Other then the bundles of wires under the dash, which looked up to snuff.

As far as grounds, where are the ground points that I need to be looking at.

Comment

Check this thread..

I'll shoot you my PayPal address shortly

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                                Check this thread..

I'll shoot you my PayPal address shortly
                                OK. But how would this door jam window wire affect the dome light and wipers?

Comment

Working...
                                X