5 lug conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 lug conversion?

Is there any point in it if the wheels I want are available in 4 lug? (03 Cobra wheels).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Better brakes and cheaper rear disk, but you'll need fox lake axles.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Personally, I've never been a fan of 4 lug. They just look right when 5 luged. Besides that, yes, cheaper/better/bigger brakes are offered when 5 lug IMO.
      '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
      '13 Dodge Cummins
      '14 Rubicon X

Comment

other than that we will laugh at you? not really.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

As it's already been said better brake options. The biggest thing to me is having to look at the tiny front rotor and nasty ass drum on the back through the rims. It's not that bad with stock ponys but once you put 5 stars on there you can really see the difference.

I'm converting to a 5 lug cobra setup and I've been doing a ton of research over the past month so if you need some help let me know.

Comment

Way better brakes and better looks with the 5 lugs. Both of my cars are converted with late model parts from a 95 cobra and a 02GT.
            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Some jackass has some special "green" cobra calipers for sale in the classifieds.

But whiteboy has a complete set with calipers from a 96 cobra. They will increase your track width though.

Comment

will need to upgrade brake booster most likely
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                  Is there any point in it if the wheels I want are available in 4 lug? (03 Cobra wheels).

Any car I see with 4 lug knock off wheels that were originally 5 lugs make me wonder what other sort of cheapass short cuts were taken with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                    Better brakes and cheaper rear disk, but you'll need fox lake axles.
                    Moser sell axles also.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                      Any car I see with 4 lug knock off wheels that were originally 5 lugs make me wonder what other sort of cheapass short cuts were taken with the car.
                      LOL. They sell them at American muscle and they're the same price as the 5 lugs.

I have them on my car because I found them for $250 for the full set.

And I assure you that I don't have any cheap ass shortcuts, just things I haven't gotten around to doing yet, time and money.

But 4 lug sucks ass, and it's on the list of stuff to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                        Some jackass has some special "green" cobra calipers for sale in the classifieds.

But whiteboy has a complete set with calipers from a 96 cobra. They will increase your track width though.
                        Only if you use the 96+ spindle. The 94/95 will keep stock width.

Originally posted by 0393gt View Post
                        will need to upgrade brake booster most likely
                        Only if he goes rear disk, you can still use rear drums, ranger parts.

Comment

Also, if you're looking at the 4 lug 03/04 cobras. Note that they are 17x9. Which is great for the rear but it sucks in the front IMO. Requires fender rolling and drop spindles to be low and keep your turning radius. 9 inches is to wide for a foxbody unless you're stock height and have no plans of going lower. That's with a 245/45/17. The inside of the wheel rubs the control arm, maybe tubular arms solve this.

And drop spindles are $$. But it's the best way to do it.

A 17x7 or maybe even 8 would be best with a 245/45/17.

Comment

The 94/95 spindles still increase the track width, just not as much as the 96-04 spindles do. But the 94/95 spindles are the only way to keep bumpsteer in an acceptable range with the stock K member. Maximum motorsports has a great write up detailing the differences.
                            Originally posted by stevo
                            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I have 95 spindles on my Coupe and 02 spindles on my Vert.. can't really tell the difference
                              Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                              90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X