X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS swap?

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
      Roots blowers have the worse heat soak issues known to man, I mean it's on top of the motor to start off and then it's compressing air... Fuck all that.
      Because I feel like being pedantic:
      You know you stopped the sentence well before the actual point of it, right? All superchargers and turbochargers compress air, and you know that... right?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Because I feel like being pedantic:
        You know you stopped the sentence well before the actual point of it, right? All superchargers and turbochargers compress air, and you know that... right?
        Saying, it's on the top of the engine, heat rises and soaks the intake manifold/blower, especially when the car is sitting still it off, and then on top of that it's an air compressor, and a huge chuck of metal to cool off once it gets hot. The water cooled blowers help. I know on my n/a 302 the intake manifold was cool to the touch after running, no matter how long. But after 5 minutes of sitting it was hot as hell.

A turbos heat is remote, and if the intercooler is up to the task the IATs will be lower then a roots style set up. Am I wrong?

While we're on the subject of heat, and "all that heat up front" pfft! Hot headers, are hot headers....

And why build a 500hp boss block? Lol

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
          why are top fuel dragsters supercharged? maybe you can let them in on the secret
          Because they have everything in common with a blown small block ford, the fuel keeps those big ass heaters cool...

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            You missed what I was saying, I don't think a new mustang will "drag my ass" because I wouldn't give two shits about racing in a straight line anyways. These days you need 800+HP to not get your ass kicked and I simply don't care to play the game. I just want a car that is streetable, fun to drive, and runs well while sounding good.
            So you want 500hp just to shift at 3500 and look badass in the Wendy's drive through?

Comment

So you want 500hp just to shift at 3500 and look badass in the Wendy's drive through?

Nope, I prefer road courses. Which is why I said eventually. I'll leave it NA with around 300 (after I install my HCI sitting on the bench) and be perfectly happy with that. If I had unlimited funds, I'd wait for the new 5.2 Voodoo and put it in my notch with a T56 and stay NA. One day way down the road I might supercharge my current motor, but that's for me to decide, and me to drive however the fuck I want.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                Nope, I prefer road courses. Which is why I said eventually. I'll leave it NA with around 300 (after I install my HCI sitting on the bench) and be perfectly happy with that. If I had unlimited funds, I'd wait for the new 5.2 Voodoo and put it in my notch with a T56 and stay NA. One day way down the road I might supercharge my current motor, but that's for me to decide, and me to drive however the fuck I want.
                Cool man, I didn't realize my opinion would be such an ass rawing expierance for you.

FYI road course racer, stay n/a don't supercharge it.

My 300hp Coupe felt slow. It was comparable to my stock motor on a 125 shot. It ran damn good, a lot better then most, but it still felt slow.

Comment

Saying, it's on the top of the engine, heat rises and soaks the intake manifold/blower, and then on top of that it's an air compressor, and a huge chuck of metal to cool off once it gets hot. The water cooled blowers help.

A turbos heat is remote, and if the intercooler is up to the task the IATs will be lower then a roots style set up. Am I wrong?
                  Roots blowers, twin screws, centrifugal superchargers, turbos... they are all air compressors. Moot point.

I get what you're saying, but your 'points' could be stronger.
                  Roots blowers are less efficient because of their internal design, not the fact that they are on top of the engine. The ideal gas law states that as pressure rises (it's an air compressor...) temperature will increase. The heat generated from the compression is a much larger factor in everything than any heat transferred to the blower case from the engine manifold.

THIS is why roots blowers are not the best choice.

Twin screws, if they use any cooling, tend to use an aftercooler arrangement that uses engine coolant in an air/water cooler to draw heat away from the compressed air. The ~180-200*F engine coolant is a way to cool the compressed air, not to cool the blower case (this is why I say heat transferred from the block, which would be the same 180-200 temp, amounts to shit). It's like a radiator in reverse.

It's much easier to plumb a turbo or a centrifugal SC through an air/air intercooler (rejecting heat to a 30-100*F sink instead of 180-200*F) and they don't have the same level of losses in the compressor.

I'm just bored in a hotel. Don't mind me.

Comment

Roots blowers, twin screws, centrifugal superchargers, turbos... they are all air compressors. Moot point.

I get what you're saying, but your 'points' could be stronger.
                    Roots blowers are less efficient because of their internal design, not the fact that they are on top of the engine. The ideal gas law states that as pressure rises (it's an air compressor...) temperature will increase. The heat generated from the compression is a much larger factor in everything than any heat transferred to the blower case from the engine manifold.

THIS is why roots blowers are not the best choice.

Twin screws, if they use any cooling, tend to use an aftercooler arrangement that uses engine coolant in an air/water cooler to draw heat away from the compressed air. The ~180-200*F engine coolant is a way to cool the compressed air, not to cool the blower case (this is why I say heat transferred from the block, which would be the same 180-200 temp, amounts to shit). It's like a radiator in reverse.

It's much easier to plumb a turbo or a centrifugal SC through an air/air intercooler (rejecting heat to a 30-100*F sink instead of 180-200*F) and they don't have the same level of losses in the compressor.

I'm just bored in a hotel. Don't mind me.
                    I knew you'd come in with the technicals. But top fuel dragsters use them, so by default they are the best. 6-71 for everyone.

Comment

I knew you'd come in with the technicals. But top fuel dragsters use them, so by default they are the best. 6-71 for everyone.
                      LOL. Pretty sure they only go with the 14-71 stuff because the rules don't allow screw-type units.

Just sayin'

Comment

LOL. Pretty sure they only go with the 14-71 stuff because the rules don't allow screw-type units.

Just sayin'
                        I guess you missed my sarcasm.

Comment

And turbos are the best because them okie boys are fastest in the nation, except those pesky BB nitrous cars. Oops we're talking blowers. Sorry

Comment

I guess you missed my sarcasm.
                            Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                              And turbos are the best because them okie boys are fastest in the nation, except those pesky BB nitrous cars. Oops we're talking blowers. Sorry
                              Once again, from one extreme to the next.

What about those 2500hp n/a pro mod motors? Don't forget to share that extreme too.

Comment

Well you make a blanket statement of turboz are the best superchargers suck! I'm just playing your game. Semi-related, I know a little about cars, but more about bikes, but it's still internal combustion, ain't it? In the two wheel world, comparable power added setups, nitrous wins every damn time

Comment

Working...
                                X