Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about this Ft. Worth Neighborhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about this Ft. Worth Neighborhood?

My wife and I are looking for our first house and we've got an accepted offer on the NE side of 30 and 820 near Cobblestone Trail Park. It is more central to where we work than our current apt in Arlington and the house is in our price range. Problem is I don't know too much about the area, and when I drive through the neighborhood I can't get much of a feeling for it. Not really anybody outside or anything.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on this neighborhood safety wise? Would you leave your wife at home alone there, all day?

My biggest thing is I want to be in an area where I won't have to worry about my wife and future kids being safe. Our budget makes that a little challenging, so any input you guys have would be much apreciated.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

How are schools in that area?

Deduct 100 points for every check cashing place within 4 milesof that house

Comment

Things to ask before throwing an offer out.....

Comment

That area sucks. You have boca raton, bridge st, and not to mention stop six is just a hop skip and a jump from there. I'd pass if you are a whitey like me

Comment

I live in Bentley Village - Water Chase which isn't too far down the road from there, just north east of the Lowes off East Chase and we love our home/neighborhood. There are however some less the ideal areas not too far from us (mostly as you move closer to 820, esp south of 30). Buick355 doesn't live too far from me either (and a little closer to where you are talking about). He has a kid too so he could prob help better with how good the schools are in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
            That area sucks. You have boca raton, bridge st, and not to mention stop six is just a hop skip and a jump from there. I'd pass if you are a whitey like me
            ^ This... area is hood

Comment

I looked at houses in that area back in 06. The problem with that area is some of it is nice, but then you cross the street and it is fucking ghetto. Honestly, I'd probably keep looking. That area of Fort Worth is highly questionable.

Comment

I work at Station #7, at the corner of John T White and Morrison.
                That area varies wildly. Need (if not the actual address) the closest intesection.

I CAN tell you this.
                Houses that butt up against the north and west end of that park have had issues with break ins.
                The neighboorhood directly north of the park (Fresh Springs, Kelly Ct) is very new.
                The neighboorhood west of the park (Bent Tree, Arbor Dr) is an older and established area.
                South of Ederville-pretty much at Sandy and Ederville-there are some very low income apts that we go to a LOT. LOTS of activity.
                I have been at that station for around 12 years. First at the rank of Firefighter (backseater) and then as Engineer (Driver). I have seen the traffic escalate DRAMATICALLY in the last two years....and it's only going to get worse.
                Over off of the Williams and Lowery area there are still some "Deliverance" types, and at least once a year we find meth cooking crap just dumped off the side of the road. I am positive -but have no proof- that a few of our larger brush fires back there were started by the meth cookers.
                Lucky Seven (the store at the corner of JTW and Sandy) is broken into on a regular basis, and has been robbed at gunpoint a few times.

Back before the economy took a dump, we were doing a commercial bldg inspection at a graphics shop over off of Handley and Meadowbrook. They showed us a presentation they were working on for the FtW City Council. Before the money ran out, the entire John T White corridor -from 820 all the way to Eastchase/Randol Mill-is slated for more apartment complexes, more retirement homes and trailer parks. Same goes for Randol Mill, 820 to Cooks Ln.
                There are three neighboorhoods in the area that were slapped up very quickly, houses built as cheaply as possible, and sold as cheaply as possible.

I'd find somewhere else to buy if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  I live in Bentley Village - Water Chase which isn't too far down the road from there, just north east of the Lowes off East Chase and we love our home/neighborhood. There are however some less the ideal areas not too far from us (mostly as you move closer to 820, esp south of 30). Buick355 doesn't live too far from me either (and a little closer to where you are talking about). He has a kid too so he could prob help better with how good the schools are in the area.
                  Send me a PM.

Comment

THIS!!!!!

Not a good place

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
                      That area varies wildly. Need (if not the actual address) the closest intesection.

I CAN tell you this.
                      Houses that butt up against the north and west end of that park have had issues with break ins.
                      The neighboorhood directly north of the park (Fresh Springs, Kelly Ct) is very new.
                      The neighboorhood west of the park (Bent Tree, Arbor Dr) is an older and established area.
                      South of Ederville-pretty much at Sandy and Ederville-there are some very low income apts that we go to a LOT. LOTS of activity.
                      I have been at that station for around 12 years. First at the rank of Firefighter (backseater) and then as Engineer (Driver). I have seen the traffic escalate DRAMATICALLY in the last two years....and it's only going to get worse.
                      Over off of the Williams and Lowery area there are still some "Deliverance" types, and at least once a year we find meth cooking crap just dumped off the side of the road. I am positive -but have no proof- that a few of our larger brush fires back there were started by the meth cookers.
                      Lucky Seven (the store at the corner of JTW and Sandy) is broken into on a regular basis, and has been robbed at gunpoint a few times.

Back before the economy took a dump, we were doing a commercial bldg inspection at a graphics shop over off of Handley and Meadowbrook. They showed us a presentation they were working on for the FtW City Council. Before the money ran out, the entire John T White corridor -from 820 all the way to Eastchase/Randol Mill-is slated for more apartment complexes, more retirement homes and trailer parks. Same goes for Randol Mill, 820 to Cooks Ln.
                      There are three neighboorhoods in the area that were slapped up very quickly, houses built as cheaply as possible, and sold as cheaply as possible.

PD or FD

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                        PD or FD
                        Umm?
                        I have been at that station for around 12 years. First at the rank of Firefighter (backseater) and then as Engineer (Driver)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowLX View Post
                          Umm?
                          Apparently I skim ready pwns meh!

Comment

If SW Arlington is not too far a drive for work I would look there
                            287/little rd/I20 area- I've lived in various neighboorhoods for 25 plus years in that area

Comment

Originally posted by KCHAR View Post
                              How are schools in that area?

Deduct 100 points for every check cashing place within 4 milesof that house
                              Not sure. I should have said future kid. We don't have one yet but the wife is hellbent on having one as soon as we get out of out 1br apartment.

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                              Things to ask before throwing an offer out.....
                              True. We got in the habit because we were only looking in Arlington, where we both grew up, we knew the neighborhoods so it was no big deal. Now that the wife got a new job near downtown Forth Worth we are moving the search north to make the drive better for both of us (I work in Las Colinas).

Also we found that in our price range investors are buying homes incredibly fast so we feel pressure to jump on opportunities. When I noticed where this house was I realized that we can't really do that outside of Arlington. Lesson learned.

I'm not a huge fan of the area either honestly, but in our price range a lot of the areas are like this. Seems little far away to worry about stop six though. Either way it's not all that much closer to it than I already am in Arlington.

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                              I just missed out on bidding on one of those zero lot line homes off of Racquet Club, that is what got me considering the area. I think that neighorhood set my hopes too high for the rest of that area though.

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                              I looked at houses in that area back in 06. The problem with that area is some of it is nice, but then you cross the street and it is fucking ghetto. Honestly, I'd probably keep looking. That area of Fort Worth is highly questionable.
                              That describes this house very well. The immediate neighborhood is decent, but all around it is apartments and less desirable areas. We're both tired of looking and, for lack of a better word, are getting desprate. If we don't find a solid lead by the end of the month I already told her we are staying at our apartment for another 9 to 12 months. I'm worried what that might do to house prices but we will just have to see what happens.

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post

I CAN tell you this.
                              Houses that butt up against the north and west end of that park have had issues with break ins. The neighboorhood directly north of the park (Fresh Springs, Kelly Ct) is very new.

Really glad you spoke up, you've got a great perspective on that area.
                              Saw that your station is just on the other side of the park from the house, I was driving around trying to get a feel for the neighborhood. (Bolded) neighborhood is where the house is, I can see the entrance to the park from the front yard. I saw a few break ins on the city's website so that was a red flag. I noticed that gas station too, I already told my wife to steer clear (although im not sure it even needed to be said).

Man that whole area is filled with apartments. I tend to think that more apartment complexes would mean lower property values and higher crime, so the potential for more coming in is a big consideration.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, even the sarcastic ones. It is always impressive how helpful this place can be between the Friday drama threads.

I need to convince the wife to consider the HEB area south of 183, I think that might be a good middle ground for us if she will widen her search a little.
                              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X