Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Mas Dublin Dr. Pepper

Sorry, Yale.

It's the end of an era for the Dr Pepper that so many of us love — the soft drink that's sweetened with real cane sugar and manufactured in a small-town Texas bottling plant.
    Soft drinks are a cutthroat business. Coke and Pepsi have been fighting for years. Now comes Dr Pepper.
    The story line: If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. And one-third of the workers in a small business will lose their jobs as a result.
    Dublin's Dr Pepper was made with pure cane sugar (instead of beet sugar or corn syrup) in the world's oldest Dr Pepper bottling plant located 75 miles southwest of Fort Worth. It has a devoted following.
    Fans have been ordering cane sugar Dr Pepper over the Internet from a family-owned Dr Pepper bottler in Dublin.
    But Plano-based Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPS), which owns the brand for most of the country, took legal action because the plant was only authorized to distribute its product in a six-county territory.
    Dublin switched to taking orders exclusively over the phone; it was enough to provide jobs for 40 people.
    But that did not satisfy DPS.
    So on Wednesday, Dr Pepper Snapple Group bought out the Dublin bottler, which is owned by the Kloster family.
    DPS says it will continue to make the high-octane version of the drink itself at other plants across the country; it will no longer be bottled in Dublin.
    That's fine for soda fans, but what about the bottling plant, which is Dublin's major employer?
    The newly-dubbed Dublin Bottling Works will still make cane sugar soft drinks — just not Dr Pepper. The plant laid off 14 workers on Wednesday.
    "We want to thank our many customers for their support of our family-owned business during the past 120 years, and we want them to know that Dr Pepper is still a big part of Dublin," said Jeff Kloster, vice president of Dublin Bottling Works, in a statement released by DPS late Wednesday afternoon. "We hope customers will continue to visit our town, the W.P. Kloster Museum and Old Doc’s Soda Shop, where they can still enjoy Dr Pepper sweetened with cane sugar."
    A spokesman for Dr Pepper Snapple Group emphasized that the cane sugar version of Dr Pepper will continue to be available "in distinct, nostalgic packaging" with no reference to the Dublin plant.
    But already, there is recognition of the unique place that Dublin Dr Pepper has for its legions of consumers. On Wednesday evening, an eBay seller offered a 24-bottle case of the product for $9,999 (plus $22.58 shipping).
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

That's fucking shitty.
    Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Jeff Kloster is a fucking idiot, and destroyed the business his dad built. If any of y'all are worried, though, any Dr. Pepper with cane sugar is the same as Dublin DP. They bottled it as, "throwback," for a while, and they'll still bottle it at the Waco facility.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Meh...

I like Mexican Coke better.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!111111Juan

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            Jeff Kloster is a fucking idiot, and destroyed the business his dad built. If any of y'all are worried, though, any Dr. Pepper with cane sugar is the same as Dublin DP. They bottled it as, "throwback," for a while, and they'll still bottle it at the Waco facility.
            Actually, throwback was made with sugar beets. They released a lime green 10 pack of cans that was imperial sugar dr pepper. (at least I only saw it in 10 packs )

Brent was saying it wasn't the same recipe, but it sure tasted like it.

Comment

dang it, i was going to make a trip our there. my son told me chicken express off of 26 has dublin dr pepper, any truth to this?
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Waco? I didn't think they bottled there. Don't you mean Temple? I have seen bottles boasting Imperial Pure Cane Sugar and bottled in Temple before.

Comment

Yes the imperial sugar stuff is bottled in temple.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                    dang it, i was going to make a trip our there. my son told me chicken express off of 26 has dublin dr pepper, any truth to this?
                    All Chicken Express sell it. Jeff Kloster is a fucking sell out!!!

Comment

Motherfuckers.

Comment

Mother fucker... This is the icing on my shitty day.... I loathe this beyond words....

Comment

[ ] Fructose Dr. Pepper is the bomb
                          [x] Dublin Dr. Pepper was the bomb

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                            All Chicken Express sell it. Jeff Kloster is a fucking sell out!!!
                            are you shitting me?? i never knew this. theres one close to my job and all the 4 years ive worked nearby i couldve been getting some dublin?!? fuck, ill have to try it tomorrow.

one of my coworkers has a six pack of dublin that she hasnt opened since her husband passed away two years ago; it was all he drank. shes always asking me if i want the sixer, im going to ask her about it tomorrow.
                            Originally posted by talisman
                            I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                            Originally posted by AdamLX
                            If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            Because fuck you, that's why
                            Originally posted by 80coupe
                            nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                            Originally posted by Rick Modena
                            ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                              are you shitting me?? i never knew this. theres one close to my job and all the 4 years ive worked nearby i couldve been getting some dublin?!? fuck, ill have to try it tomorrow.

one of my coworkers has a six pack of dublin that she hasnt opened since her husband passed away two years ago; it was all he drank. shes always asking me if i want the sixer, im going to ask her about it tomorrow.
                              I've got some as well, but I might hold onto the last of my stash.

Comment

Working...
                              X