Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much should it cost to replace a hot water heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should it cost to replace a hot water heater?

40 gallon electric just crapped out.

I just got quoted $900-1300 to replace it. I feel like I'm getting bent over here, but I don't know enough about this subject to comment.

What do y'all think?

Where is the heater located and how easy is it to get to?
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Easy DIY my friend, don't pay anyone to install it.

Comment

Fuck that! There is probably a YouTube walk through. I bet you can get a good water heater for $300.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
          Where is the heater located and how easy is it to get to?
          Garage. Extremely easy to get to.

Part of me wants to do it myself, but I am severely lacking in time and the life force to fuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
            Fuck that! There is probably a YouTube walk through. I bet you can get a good water heater for $300.
            $250-$500 will buy you a nice 50 gallon at lowes or HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordblue625 View Post
              $250-$500 will buy you a nice 50 gallon at lowes or HD.
              Good to know. $600+ for labor do seem a bit extreme, don't it?

Comment

Just did my friends last week. $319 for a 50 gallon plus install parts since we didn't want to sweat the pipes on or off. Took about an hour to do and I had never done one before.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post

Part of me wants to do it myself, but I am severely lacking in time and the life force to fuck with it.
                  I hear ya. My last one busted literally minutes before I left for the airport to return to Afghanistan after a 21 day leave. Bags in hand I walked in the garage and right into a puddle of water. Didn't take long to determine I just got horse fucked by a rusted water heater.

Short pit stop at HD and a new water heater tossed in the back of my wife's explorer and had to call a favor to get my Stepdad and brother to swap it for me.

Do it yourself, save that money if the heater is an easy to get to spot.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

2 cold showers and that life force will kick in.

Comment

2 cold showers and that life force will kick in.
                      LOL, one thing I got out of the overpriced plumber visit was that it's severely out of code, no pan and the TPR valve isn't even plumbed, and the plumbing from the wall is 2 feet higher than the valve. Pan is no big deal, but I'm out of my element knocking holes in the wall and rerouting plumbing.

Just got off the phone with a plumber that quoted $825 and will do it tomorrow. Still an assload of cash I don't want to spend, but I think I'm going to have to cough it up. I won't get time away from work to deal with it until the weekend anyway.

Thanks y'all for the feedback. Saved me some dough for sure.

Comment

LOL, one thing I got out of the overpriced plumber visit was that it's severely out of code, no pan and the TPR valve isn't even plumbed, and the plumbing from the wall is 2 feet higher than the valve. Pan is no big deal, but I'm out of my element knocking holes in the wall and rerouting plumbing.

Just got off the phone with a plumber that quoted $825 and will do it tomorrow. Still an assload of cash I don't want to spend, but I think I'm going to have to cough it up. I won't get time away from work to deal with it until the weekend anyway.

Thanks y'all for the feedback. Saved me some dough for sure.
                        You lazy ass yuppie... welcome to the club!

Comment

You lazy ass yuppie... welcome to the club!
                          Hahah, right? I know you wouldn't want to mess up your manicure to replace a water heater.

Comment

Do it yourself and don't worry about the code thing. Just make sure the tpr is 6" off the floor.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                              Do it yourself and don't worry about the code thing. Just make sure the tpr is 6" off the floor.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                              This! I bet seb would do it for you for $100.00 on top of parts, I don't know why but he came to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X