Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebrake adjustment? General Drum Rear questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebrake adjustment? General Drum Rear questions...

My ebrake hasn't worked since I bought my car so today I replaced the shoes and fixed the ebrake (cables weren't installed in the guides on the tunnel under the car). Everything is hooked up now, but the brake doesn't have much holder power. Most ebrakes are strong enough to make a car lock up the rear tires and I can put the car in gear and push through them now. Is there an adjustment besides the self-ratcheting device inside the drum? My understanding on those is that they self adjust after you push the brakes a few times. In general (not just the ebrake) the rear brakes don't do a lot. I thought it might be the need for replacement shoes, but that didn't seem to make a ton of difference either. Any pointers??

I think after 86 they where self adjusting.

Pull up on it a tad and roll backwards and it should set them, if i remember right. If that does not work you can replace it with an adjustable cable i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
      My ebrake hasn't worked since I bought my car so today I replaced the shoes and fixed the ebrake (cables weren't installed in the guides on the tunnel under the car). Everything is hooked up now, but the brake doesn't have much holder power. Most ebrakes are strong enough to make a car lock up the rear tires and I can put the car in gear and push through them now. Is there an adjustment besides the self-ratcheting device inside the drum? My understanding on those is that they self adjust after you push the brakes a few times. In general (not just the ebrake) the rear brakes don't do a lot. I thought it might be the need for replacement shoes, but that didn't seem to make a ton of difference either. Any pointers??
      Doug, have you adjusted it using the nuts under the center console ? I had to pull the plastic E-brake handle surround piece out and adjust the nuts in on mine because I could pull it all the way up against the arm rest and it still would roll just a bit.

Plus, with my car being lowered as much as it is, the cables were hanging down just enough that hitting a bump would cause them to rub the driveshaft and make an annoying ass noise.

Try that.

-Aaron

Comment

I'll check that out Aaron.....

Comment

Working...
        X