5 lug swap brake issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 lug swap brake issues

Like the title says, I just recently swapped my 93 to 5 lug using 95 spindles, 01 front brakes, and 31 spline 5 lug drum axles. I have only driven it on and off the trailer(muffler shop, car show) and I've been hearing a moan. I suspected the rear end, but just found both front calipers almost completely engaged and the rears don't apply at all. Any thoughts? I didn't have any issues before the swap. The calipers were off a friends car w/10k miles. They have been wrapped up since 02' and haven't been used.

Thanks in advance.

Corey
    1972 F100
    428 CJ
    C6

"What ever is the hardest, takes the longest, and makes me the maddest...thats what i want to do."

Did you gut the proportioning valve?

Comment

Nevermind saw it was drum rear....

Comment

Originally posted by juicedgt View Post
        Like the title says, I just recently swapped my 93 to 5 lug using 95 spindles, 01 front brakes, and 31 spline 5 lug drum axles. I have only driven it on and off the trailer(muffler shop, car show) and I've been hearing a moan. I suspected the rear end, but just found both front calipers almost completely engaged and the rears don't apply at all. Any thoughts? I didn't have any issues before the swap. The calipers were off a friends car w/10k miles. They have been wrapped up since 02' and haven't been used.

Thanks in advance.

Corey
        It sounds like the caliper is dragging.
        2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
        2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
        2012 Ford Edge

Comment

I pulled the calipers last night the pistons will compress, but after you depress the pedal their froze again.
          1972 F100
          428 CJ
          C6

"What ever is the hardest, takes the longest, and makes me the maddest...thats what i want to do."

Comment

master cylinder?
            Originally posted by Yale
            I want to give her a colonoscopy with my tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by SSsierra90 View Post
              master cylinder?
              I'm leaning towards the proportioning valve, but I didn't have any issues before and now I do.
              1972 F100
              428 CJ
              C6

Comment

Try this... when car is "locked up", break open caliper bleed screws one at a time. big squirt of fluid and wheel releases, its good chance on the hydraulic side/booster pushrod length. If no big squirt and brakes still locked up look into caliper pins

Pads installed in correct sides of rotors (seen a lot with outboard pad installed on inboard side. Has pins that interfere and keep pads applied, you can see the marks in caliper pistons)
                Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

I re-bled the brakes. No air or trash. Cleaned the brake pad slides. Now the brake grabbed harder. Couldn't spin the rotor at all! I pulled one of the front calipers off completely disassembled it looking for issues. No problems found. I'm lost!
                  1972 F100
                  428 CJ
                  C6

Comment

Hey Corey, SC457A recommends a good test, usually what we'll do is pump the brakes up and release the pedal. If the front a dragging/holding, crack a bleeder and see if that wheel releases. If it does pump it up again and this time crack the steel line loose where it connects to the rubber flex hose going to the caliper. If it doesn't release there then it's usually the rubber line breaking down inside and holding pressure.

Comment

I'll check that David. Those brake lines are brand new. I was just thinking about it though I re-used my 93 banjo bolts w/new copper washers. I wonder if the "hole" where the fluid goes thru is in the wrong place?
                      1972 F100
                      428 CJ
                      C6

Comment

Originally posted by juicedgt View Post
                        I'll check that David. Those brake lines are brand new. I was just thinking about it though I re-used my 93 banjo bolts w/new copper washers. I wonder if the "hole" where the fluid goes thru is in the wrong place?
                        The bolt could be a problem, not likely 2 new hoses would be bad. I wondered about a bolt offset type problem myself

Comment

I just talked to worm. He said they are different. He had them side by side on his 92 during the swap. So I'm picking some up now.
                          1972 F100
                          428 CJ
                          C6

Comment

good deal, I wouldn't have thought the calipers to be the problem. Maybe one side or the other, but not both. Hopefully the bolts will get you straightened out.

Comment

Picked up new bolts and there almost exactly the same
                              1972 F100
                              428 CJ
                              C6

Comment

Working...
                              X