need help with pull to right on 92 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with pull to right on 92 coupe

1992 lx 5.0 coupe. ok all bushings are good. steering rack is good and has new wheel bearings tires were rotated and struts are 1 year old and it still pulls

had it aligned and all is good. but it still pulls to the right. no matter what the road surface or what lane im in. if i let off the wheel it starts moving to the right and keeps going till i grab the wheel. always have to have the wheel cocked to the left to go straight. this car has never been wrecked and everything looks good up front. firestone did the alignment and inspected the front and agree all is good. they did notice a small amount of play in wheel bearings so i adjusted a little tighter to stop the play.

i am at wits end on this so please help a old timer get this fixed.

It could be a bad tire, or uneven air presssure on the left and right tires.

Mine will pull when the air pressure is off.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Is it caster or tire pull? To find out which it is, is simple! Temporarily switch the two front tires ie. l to r and r to l. Go drive and see if the pull is the same. If the pull remains the same, the tires are not causing the pull and you have caster problems. If the pull follows the tires, you have radial tire pull and a tire is failing.

A minor pull may be compensated for by air pressure adjustment although this solution is just a band-aid here goes. Vary the stagger of the front tires. Look on the side wall of the tire and find the maximum tire pressure and put that much tire on the side the car pulls to (in your case the right tire). Drop the pressure on the other car by say 10-15 psi. That should help till you put caster/camber plates in.

Comment

Firestone..... that's your problem.
        Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
        90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

turn left

Comment

how about checking to see if one of the wheel bearings is tighter than the other as this can also cause a slight pull.

Comment

i have rotated the tires. and the air pressure is at 36 in all 4 tires

turning left is what i do now and would not like to do it anymore

the pull is pretty good and it is almost the moment i let go of the wheel. i will post up the alignment sheet when i get home to let you guys take a peek.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                It could be a bad tire, or uneven air presssure on the left and right tires.

Mine will pull when I smash into the ditch/curb.
                there ya go

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                  there ya go
                  nice.

never hit a curb with it. any more ideas

Comment

Look at you're alignment print out and see what your caster measurements show. The right side should have about .5 degree more caster . If it's lower or even tell them to adjust it . Flinstone hires 10$ an hour kids who have no idea what to do if the machine shows all green . Just cause it's in spec dont mean its right .
                    The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
                      Look at you're alignment print out and see what your caster measurements show. The right side should have about .5 degree more caster . If it's lower or even tell them to adjust it . Flinstone hires 10$ an hour kids who have no idea what to do if the machine shows all green . Just cause it's in spec dont mean its right .
                      exactly. Just because its in spec does not mean its right.

Also have you checked the torque boxes. If you have one that is bad, the rear will push the car one way, from the rear being out of alignment. But that hard of a pull, it would have to be pretty bad.

Does the steering wheel turn when you let go of it.
                      JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Here is the alignment picture. Any insight would be great

Last edited by cornbread; 11-16-2011, 12:40 AM.

Comment

With a .9 degree caster spread, it should pull to the least positive side or in your case LEFT. Do you have caster/camber plates on it yet?

Comment

As stated already Firestone is your problem, print out don't mean shit.
                            I would try to find a shop that has old school turn plates.
                            Laser technology just means that the guy operating does know how to do his job,he gets a print out that says "its in spec" like yours.
                            numbers are bogus.

Comment

Either you have a radial pull or the machine is being manipulated . Try swapping the front tires side to side and see if that effects it . Can you show a pic of the whole print out? The page they gave you wont show if he added a frame angle measurement. That can be used to manipulate the castor readings. the best info I can can give is go to another shop and pay to get another alignment check to see if they are screwing you .
                              The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X