Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why leave a diesel running while filling it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why leave a diesel running while filling it up?

I've never got a good answer. I understand if it's below 40 degrees, or the truck isn't warmed-up yet, but what if you have been driving 3-400 miles, and the temperature is normal outside? Is there a benefit to leaving your truck running?

Keeps the a/c kicking!

Comment

^yup. Dont worry, youre not gonna accidentally ignite the diesel because it running or with a static spark from your shirt rubbing on the car like you see in worlds craziest videos crap. Diesel doesnt ignite easily at all.
      1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
      2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
      2000 F250 4x4 PSD
      2012 Ford Exploder
      www.fquick.com/payne5757
      www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

I thought it was just to annoy everyone without 200 yards of those stinky, rattling biatches...
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Gotta keep the beer cold..

Comment

just make sure you use the diesel pumps so the guys in diesel trucks have to wait on you.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Ever had to replace the starter on a diesel? Me either but I know they are heavy as crap and expensive. That and idling a diesel barely uses any fuel at all compared to a gas engine.

I bet the main reason though is so you don't have to look at that "wait to start" light for 30+ seconds. They nearly all have one and it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, it's going to come on.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                Ever had to replace the starter on a diesel? Me either but I know they are heavy as crap and expensive. That and idling a diesel barely uses any fuel at all compared to a gas engine.

I bet the main reason though is so you don't have to look at that "wait to start" light for 30+ seconds. They nearly all have one and it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, it's going to come on.
                You do not have to wait for the light to go off to start the truck, especially if its already warm.

The Glow Plugs and Grid Heaters are not even for cold starts, they were designed to heat up the cylinders before the first start to burn more of the fuel the first few strokes to cut down on emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post

My 6.0 starter was the same weight as a factory 5.0 starter from 89.

I don't wait to start in the summer, or when the engine is warm.

I do turn my truck off when I'm getting fuel.

Comment

The fuel it consumes starting and fuel consumed idling is practically equal.
                    Thus, why bother shutting it down if there is only a negligible difference in costs?

Comment

Originally posted by Rlhay2 View Post
                      The fuel it consumes starting and fuel consumed idling is practically equal.
                      Thus, why bother shutting it down if there is only a negligible difference in costs?
                      That's kind of open ended. Fuel consumed during startup = fuel consumed idling for how long?

Comment

turbos don't like coke

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                          I thought it was just to annoy everyone without 200 yards of those stinky, rattling biatches...
                          What about everyone within 200 yards of those stinky, rattling biatches?
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
                            You do not have to wait for the light to go off to start the truck, especially if its already warm.

The Glow Plugs and Grid Heaters are not even for cold starts, they were designed to heat up the cylinders before the first start to burn more of the fuel the first few strokes to cut down on emissions.

Wrong. If its cold enough they are a neccessity to get the bastards to start. Take it from me, I just moved back down here from Philly and i could damn sure tell when my GP relay went out! Its rare that it gets cold enough down here, but grid heaters and glow plugs are definitely meant to assist in the ignition of the fuel when the block and cylinders are stone cold in the winter.
                            1988GT DSS pro bullet 306,pp track heat heads, pp downs box intake, TFS stage II cam, S-trim 13lbs, 503/461
                            2002 VTX 1800C Chopped and Raked
                            2000 F250 4x4 PSD
                            2012 Ford Exploder
                            www.fquick.com/payne5757
                            www.myspace.com/payne5757

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                              What about everyone within 200 yards of those stinky, rattling biatches?
                              That would be my damn iPhone helping...
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X