Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit gurus....payment question

Read or look at question in bold...

My wife and I currently have some debt from remodeling that we are about to pay off in full. We are very particular about our credit and check it frequently. We have strong credit scores already(hers can almost not increase anymore) but I know when large amounts are paid toward a debt it helps your credit by debt to open ratio and the large payment itself. Is it better to pay off large amounts on CC's in one lump payment or break it into two payments across two billing cycles?

I know for sure that it makes a difference in score paying these large amounts down, two months ago I paid 5k off in one payment and got a 20 point credit bump the next month. So just wondering if you make two payments on different billings cycles will you get two bumps, or better to just make it one larger payment.

We have done this once before also, we remodeled had it on 0% CC's and paid it all off in full and noticed a 30-40 point credit score jump. Never divided for the benefit of two bumps, if it even works like that.
    Last edited by zachary; 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM.

Any difference in score increase would be minimal, if at all. I doubt there would be a difference.

btw, I'm no guru, but I have done a lot of research on credit repair in order to improve my own. Your increase has to do more with the percentage of credit currently used. My guess is you would see a 40 (hypothetical) increase with a single payment or (2) 20 point increases with two payments or possibly a 25 point jump and a 15 point jump.
    Last edited by CWO; 02-04-2015, 09:12 AM.

Comment

that is what I was curious about will it equal out to the same or be a little more beneficial for two

Comment

The benefit of "spreading" out the payments to help your credit score would likely be offset and then some by the increased interest expense.

Just pay it and be done with it.
        Ford
        GM
        Toyota
        VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
          The benefit of "spreading" out the payments to help your credit score would likely be offset and then some by the increased interest expense.

Just pay it and be done with it.
          Good point. If it is a 0% interest card and you're trying to maximize your score, you might be better off spreading it out as long as possible, unless you need the better score sooner than later, like if you were trying to buy a house or something. If the card has interest on it, I'd pay it and get it done, as suggested.

Comment

all @ 0%, that is the only was we put anything on our CC' s

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
              Spread it out then if you don't mind making payments for a few more months or whatever. 0% is nice to have especially if you can keep the cash in the bank.
              Ford
              GM
              Toyota
              VAG

Comment

It's very annoying that this kind of information is not taught in public school.

This should be something that every American knows, seeing as credit score is now used as the basis for your value as a human being.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  It's very annoying that this kind of information is not taught in public school.

This should be something that every American knows, seeing as credit score is now used as the basis for your value as a human being.
                  I'm a high risk human being then.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                    I'm a high risk human being then.
                    my parents always told me I wouldnt amount to much, guess that's what they were talking about.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Bow to the all mighty fico

Comment

Pay it off. The more available credit you have, the better your score will be.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
                          If your goal is to maximize your credit score you should spread it out as long as you can if you're at 0%. Constant timely payments is something lenders look for and have a direct effect (affect?) on your score.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
                            Pay it off. The more available credit you have, the better your score will be.
                            this

Comment

If he doesn't need a better score asap he would be better off making payments, ultimately his score will be higher that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X