Wow.......Really? Coach sues his own player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow.......Really? Coach sues his own player

A classic baseball celebration spurred legal action in California, as a coach claimed he was injured by his player's thown helmet

A baseball player discarding his helmet as he approached home plate following a walk-off hit is a tradition as old as the helmet, itself. But in California, one Little Leaguer is being sued for more than a half-million dollars for his celebratory helmet toss — and the plaintiff is his coach.

According to KCRA in Sacramento, Joe Paris’ 14-year-old son scored from second on a teammate’s hit to win a recent Lakeside Little League game, and as Paris crossed home plate, he threw his helmet into the air.

That helmet, according to a lawsuit filed by Paris’ coach Alan Beck, hit Beck’s Achilles tendon and tore it. Now Beck, a chiropractor, is seeking $100,000 to cover lost wages and medical bills and an additional $500,000 compensation for pain and suffering.

“I don't think the boy meant to harm him,” Gene Goldsman, Beck's attorney, told KCRA. “But, this wasn't a part of the game. A guy who volunteers his time to coach should not be subjected to someone who throws a helmet in the manner that he did. What the kid did, it crossed the line.”

Paris’ father, who said that his family has already paid $4,000 in legal fees and didn’t have homeowner’s insurance to cover the damages in the lawsuit, was understandably upset by the claim.

“At first I thought it was joke,” he told KCRA. “Now, I think it's absurd.”

The case is set to go to before a judge in March. At that point, attorney Bill Portanova told KCRA, there’s a decent chance the lawsuit could be thrown out.

“If he deliberately hurt somebody, then it's a stronger case and a stronger case that his parents could be held liable,” Portanova told the station. “But kids playing a kids' game in a contact sport — and baseball is a contact sport — that's going to be a tougher case.”

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
    in California
    And that's all you need to know about why this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
      And that's all you need to know about why this happened.
      x2
      sigpic

Comment

"Now Beck, a chiropractor....."

That's all I needed to know to understand this....those fuckers are as crooked (if not more-so) than the lawyers they always swim with.
        70' Chevelle RagTop
        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I'm having trouble picturing how a kid throwing his helmet in the air could tear a grown man's Achilles tendon.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            I'm having trouble picturing how a kid throwing his helmet in the air could tear a grown man's Achilles tendon.
            Read post #2
            sigpic

Comment

Right. Don't they wear safety helmets in California, with no sharp edges?
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                Bet this one would hurt.

Comment

Working...
                X