Are rent house prices negotiable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rent house prices negotiable?

A couple of friends and I are looking to rent a house pretty soon here in South Austin and I've never done it before. I've definitely negotiated apartment prices and was wondering if houses are the same? We're trying to stay in the $1,200/month range, but most of the houses in the area we're looking are $1,500+ for a 3 Bed, 2 Bath.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

It's always worth a shot, but from what I hear the Austin market is really hot right now.

Comment

Rentals are hot right now,probably not. But hey, I've had guys try to negotiate a $20 car part, why not try the rent. I have one rental property. I can assure you I would take a little less knowing I would have someone that is long term and not going to be a pain in my ass...

Comment

Yes house rent prices are negotiable.
        07 GT500
        05 SRT10
        88 turbocoupe T-bird
        93 Cobra
        86 coupe
        Ducati 848

Comment

I had no idea you could negotiate apartment rent

Comment

Everything is negotiable.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I know we negotiated a lower lease payment on our office building when we moved in. A longer term was needed to make it happen, but they did come down quite a bit.

Comment

We offered a $100 monthly discount in trade for a 2 year lease.
                sigpic

Comment

Long term reliability and good past credit/criminal/rental history are what we look for on negotiating terms on our properties. Most are paid for and I'd rather negotiate a couple hundred off say a $1200/month lease for long term than to have the house sit on the market empty making no money. But if you're a risk, te negotiation terms will not be favorable.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                    Long term reliability and good past credit/criminal/rental history are what we look for on negotiating terms on our properties. Most are paid for and I'd rather negotiate a couple hundred off say a $1200/month lease for long term than to have the house sit on the market empty making no money. But if you're a risk, te negotiation terms will not be favorable.
                    What this guy said. I need to figure out how to purchase another rent house.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, but I'd have to say good luck right now. Even in DFW stuff isn't lasting on the market for very long. I negotiated a small amount off my apartment rent when I was in between my 2 houses.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                        What this guy said. I need to figure out how to purchase another rent house.
                        It's about cash flow. They tightened up on borrowing. You need 25% down now when buying property that is not your primary residence...

Comment

I have two rentals. Getting $100 less a month for good quality long term renters is worth its weight in gold over people who pay late, call and nitpick over every little issue. Once I get those, there's a nice big rent increase to drive them out. Most apartments are management companies so the rents are market values and are less flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Yes, but I'd have to say good luck right now. Even in DFW stuff isn't lasting on the market for very long. I negotiated a small amount off my apartment rent when I was in between my 2 houses.
                            Ours rented in less than 10 days (deposit in hand) and we had 4 applicants before we choose one.

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                            It's about cash flow. They tightened up on borrowing. You need 25% down now when buying property that is not your primary residence...
                            That's what I've come to learn. I'm wondering if I can't bend the rules some and borrow against my currently paid for rental property.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
                              Ours rented in less than 10 days (deposit in hand) and we had 4 applicants before we choose one.

That's what I've come to learn. I'm wondering if I can't bend the rules some and borrow against my currently paid for rental property.
                              Doubt you can borrow against it but I dont know anything anymore, bank is waiting " at least 45 maybe 60 days" to approve my home loan as a primary residence even though i'm putting 33% down.

Comment

Working...
                              X