F you Alex Trebek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F you Alex Trebek

The Houston Astros finished the 2013 season with a won-loss record of 51-111, and were 45 games out of first place in the American League West. They allowed the most runs in Major League Baseball and scored the second-fewest (Go White Sox!). Further, they lost 34 games by at least five runs — the standard which Baseball-Reference.com uses for a "blowout loss." If you're more charitable and go with an eight-run deficit as the baseline, they only dropped 11 of those.

No matter, that's where the popular trivia show "Jeopardy!" comes in. Host Alex Trebek and the gang made use of the baseball blowout metaphor in making fun of the 'Stros when giving the $1,000 clue Monday night during a tournament for teachers:

The large valve used to control wellbore fluids on oil rigs is this "preventer "; the Astros could have used one

Up stepped Katie Moriarty of Cincinnati, a fifth-grade teacher (that's the best grade). Presumably a Reds fan, she knocked it out of the park:

What is a "blowout preventer"?

Aww, stuff it, Trebek! How many of us would have said "closer"? That would have been over-thinking it.

Though she sat in second place through the Jeopardy! round, sadly, Ms. Moriarty's baseball/oil-rig knowledge did not help her win semifinal game 1. The final Jeopardy! question this morning is: "Which major league team will we embarrass next?"

Big BLS H/N: Ultimate Astros

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Her dad will teach you a thing or two if you mouth off about his daughter again:

Comment

Did Elvis write this story? Amirite?

Comment

That's what happens when you house husbands stay home all day and watch daytime TV

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
          That's what happens when you house husbands stay home all day and watch daytime TV
          we split up 2yrs ago. divorce just final last week.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            Aww, stuff it, Trebek! How many of us would have said "closer"? That would have been over-thinking it.
            A closer wouldn't help when you're always losing going into the ninth. What you need is a new rotation, and some offense, and some guys that can play in the field - about nine of them.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

god bless.
              no shit?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

god bless.
                Well aren't I just an asshole!

Comment

Well isn't Matt just an asshole.

Comment

no trouble at all gents. I have custody of Jr so all is right with my world. i was gonna make a thread but didnt wanna attention whore it up. so i formulated a master plan to secretly attention whore in a thread containing Alex Trebek in the title. Matt was a crucial part of the implementation of said maste rplan. so in reality he is no larger an asshole than usual.

god bless.

Comment

Well, props for not falling off the deep end online like most people here seem to do.

Comment

Astros and Texans still suck.
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                          Astros and Texans still suck.
                          I'm sure if you made a list of things that might upset ELVIS and asked him to pick 6 that really bother him, the Texans are at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                            I'm sure if you made a list of things that might upset ELVIS and asked him to pick 6 that really bother him, the Texans are at the top.
                            High five!
                            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

god bless.
                              Not sure if serious... I mean, I can't imagine that you would joke about something like this but, wtf??

Comment

Working...
                              X