income question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• income question

im tired or uncle sam taking all my damn money..would it be better if i claimed one of our kids since i make more than my wife or is it better for her to claim both kids and pray i get some money back at the end of the year??

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

I may be wrong, but if you're filing as married, does it even matter?

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
      this. You should get a 3500 credit for each.

Comment

not filing married, we file seperately

Originally posted by DOHCTR
        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Why do you file separately?

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
            Just by the way he presented the question, I am assuming that he and his wife file separately. Not sure why though. I mean, I'm by no means a tax expert, but when we have run various scenarios, filing joint typically works out the best.

Comment

The withholding amount is the same no matter who claims the kid, but it depends on which of you falls in the higher tax bracket at the gross pay point. You should claim them, if it it will get you into a lower tax bracket and not push your wife up into a higher one. Then, your collective level of taxation will be lower. If you already pay someone to prepare your taxes, you should make the switch to a CPA, and take this question to them. It's worth your time.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                The withholding amount is the same no matter who claims the kid, but it depends on which of you falls in the higher tax bracket at the gross pay point. You should claim them, if it it will get you into a lower tax bracket and not push your wife up into a higher one. Then, your collective level of taxation will be lower. If you already pay someone to prepare your taxes, you should make the switch to a CPA, and take this question to them. It's worth your time.
                Yale

What kind of car do you drive?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  Yale

Yale doesn’t own a car, he jumps on his Cow Skin Magic Carpet (rug) and just flies away...

<---Married but files separately as when I filed joint, we lost more money...lol
                  Originally posted by Sean88gt
                  You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                  Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                  You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    Yale

A 21 speed, at present. One day, a Lambo.

Comment

They always sticket to me..last yeah I got lucky and only paid 2k on top of what they took out all year...
                      Originally posted by Da Prez
                      Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                      Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Does your employer offer any flex spending accounts? You can use those to lower taxable income, that and maybe max out your 401k.

Comment

It's better to owe some money in April than to get your own money back without interest. Fund an Ira for you and your wife. That reduces the gross amount of income that you will be taxed on. If you are self employed, and have no employees, you can also have a Simple IRA that will be based on your income. That amount too reduces your taxes paid. I did it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                            It's better to owe some money in April than to get your own money back without interest. Fund an Ira for you and your wife. That reduces the gross amount of income that you will be taxed on. If you are self employed, and have no employees, you can also have a Simple IRA that will be based on your income. That amount too reduces your taxes paid. I did it for years.
                            Definitely fund separate IRA's, and max out yours before you contribute to hers. Any little barrier helps, if you end up getting divorced.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              Definitely fund separate IRA's, and max out yours before you contribute to hers. Any little barrier helps, if you end up getting divorced.
                              My new motto for anything moving forward will be "WWYD?"

Comment

Working...
                              X