STAAR test results: everyone gets a trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAAR test results: everyone gets a trophy

After reading this news release and also taking a look at the actual data from the state's web site: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/08...icts-meet.html

seems to me the STAAR test is an improved version of "every school deserves a trophy" now. TAKS at least pointed out schools that were outright failing. And let's not also forget that it doesn't make one bit of difference how standardized tests are created or how they're scored or if they're targeted so every single person who considers themselves a minority isn't offended, the bottom line is that schools with a lot of kids who come from broken homes, parents who aren't worth a shit and generally have no support structure tend to do the worst.

If they all happen to gravitate to certain schools because of where they live, well, I guess we'll need to spend another billion dollars in tax money to figure out why.

When most are failing, just lower the standards instead of demanding improvement. These shams they call "tests" are just a "feel good" mirage so that the taxpayers don't demand a total shut down of the public education system.
    Last edited by Vertnut; 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Kids don't give 2 shits about both of those tests.
      Originally posted by Buzzo
      Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Should do it like they do in China. There's one major test they ever have to worry about, and that's the one at the end of high school to determine whether or not you even qualify to go to college. It's a three-day-long comprehensive test with material that covers everything you learned in the last twelve years, and if you don't score well enough, you go to trade school or go into the labor pool. If you score high you get to go to college. The test is so intense that they study for it the whole second half of their 12th year.
        Last edited by Ratt; 08-12-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Didn't Perry sign a law doing away with the majority of the standardized tests in TX?
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

School is such Bull shit now, Me Neighbor's brother Failed the Math part of the STAAR test twice during the school year, Went to summer school, Failed it again and they pretty much told him "Oh well, You pass. You get to go to high school."

On another note My little brother was 1 of 15 kids that passed all of their STAAR test out of the whole school and they only got a "Congratulations" from their Teachers, lol
            Street car.

Comment

The kids dont give two shits about the tests, and they hold the teachers accountable for the kids doing badly. Its a tough spot to be in for the teachers, too.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Those tests aren't hard either. My senior year they did a trial run on the STAR test and it was easy as shit. TAKS was even more of a joke.
                Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

If you can't pass those weak-ass tests, your parents should have to come to night school with your dumb ass until you can. Lame.
                  Last edited by EW; 08-12-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    The kids dont give two shits about the tests, and they hold the teachers accountable for the kids doing badly. Its a tough spot to be in for the teachers, too.
                    Trust me i know all about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                      Oh come on...we all know those who can't do teach.

I do so love to be blamed when my students can't even be bothered to do their work. Then their parents can't be bothered to meet about it. Yet it is still all my fault somehow. Yay! School starts this month! Lol
                      sigpic

Comment

My parents always told me if I didn't do good in school I'd die or they'd kill me somehow. It worked out though LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                          My parents always told me if I didn't do good in school I'd die or they'd kill me somehow. It worked out though LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
                          Are you sure?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                            Are you sure?
                            I haz diploma!

Comment

I think that I posted this a while back but when I was visiting my parents, I saw my little sisters report card. While she had straight A's, I saw that the passing score for Science and Math were 65, and 60 (can't remember which was what). I know that in college a 60-69 is a D, and not an F. However, in grade school anything below a 70 was an F. At least when I was in school.

Like stated before, just lower the standards. I know that in my years in grade school, I had a few teachers that sucked, some would tell us their personal problems in class, but eventually within that year they would be let go and replaced. I think that happened twice in high school. Most of my teachers though were good. You could tell that they actually cared not only about having a job but the students themselves. For the most part I was an A, sometimes A/B student, and if my teachers saw a drop in my grades they would pull me aside at the end of class, give me a pass to be late to the next class, and talk to me for a few minutes to make sure everything was okay. I wonder if they do that kind of stuff anymore?
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X