Electricity: Contract vs. Variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity: Contract vs. Variable

My contract is up tomorrow, so I’m checking out the offers on powertochoose.org and it seems like the "variable" offer rates (4.5c/kwh based on 1000kwh) are practically half of the 12 month contract rates thanks to the recent pull back in energy prices. My understanding is these offers are only for the first month and then it goes up to a "standard rate" for subsequent months. So 2 questions:

1. Where does one find said "standard rate", or at least previous month's "standard rate"? I called one of these companies and they guy said the standard rate is right at 8.6c/kwh. Is there a website to look it up? My TDU is Oncor if it matters

2. Can I just jump from one company's 1 month offer to the next 1 month offer, or are there some hidden transfer charges that will bite me?

I have a feeling the contract rates will continue to fall in the next few months, so I dont want to lock right now if I can help it.
    Last edited by TRAXX; 06-28-2011, 12:41 PM. Reason: I kant speeel!

On powertochoose.org click on the fact sheet or something like that and there's a 2-3 page disclosure that is supposed to spell all of that out.

Comment

Power To Choose

I went with Reliant on a fixed rate of .11 per KW. I am on average billing and have it put on my Discover card and get a rebate. Also, it is a Texas company and you can talk to an American in Houston, Texas if you need customer service. I have had it for almost 3 years and I am totally happy with their service. The best part is I don't have to talk to someone named Paul or Steve from India or the Phillipines that I can't understand.

Comment

All I know is I had $300-$500 bills with TXU, switched to reliant and havent had one over $150 now. Fuck TXU!
        "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
        http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
        Factory Five MK4 Cobra
        Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
        http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
        www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
        sigpic

Comment

be glad you are not on a co-op

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
            I went with Reliant on a fixed rate of .11 per KW. I am on average billing and have it put on my Discover card and get a rebate. Also, it is a Texas company and you can talk to an American in Houston, Texas if you need customer service. I have had it for almost 3 years and I am totally happy with their service. The best part is I don't have to talk to someone named Paul or Steve from India or the Phillipines that I can't understand.
            That seems high. I just signed a year contract at 7.9 (8.2 average for 1k KW)

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
              I am and so far no issues. Who is your's? I am with Tri County.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                That seems high. I just signed a year contract at 7.9 (8.2 average for 1k KW)
                is that with reliant?

Comment

nope, potentia engergy. was with startex..

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                    All I know is I had $300-$500 bills with TXU, switched to reliant and havent had one over $150 now. Fuck TXU!
                    More people need to leave TXU and force them to compete better with these other companies. I quit using them years ago and will likely never do so again.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                      More people need to leave TXU and force them to compete better with these other companies. I quit using them years ago and will likely never do so again.
                      Old folks stick with TXU because TXU has always been their service provider. It's like a chihuahua chasing it's tail.....

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        Old folks stick with TXU because TXU has always been their service provider. It's like a chihuahua chasing it's tail.....
                        I know, it was hell getting my mom to switch.

Comment

We just switched to a one year fixed plan I think it was 8.4 or 8.6. Its amigo energy. If you go with them let me know they have a referral plan that gives both people $25
                          BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
                          I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
                          PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

just mde the switch myself, fianlly got off TXU high ass bills. Mine doesn't kick in till next month. was paying about 12 with TXU and now i will be on 8.2. Hoping I just pay my last bill with TXU, damn thing was $236. which that might not seem high to some of yall. But my house is about 1100 sq feet. . The ac stays at 74 all day.

Need to do alot of energy saving shit to my old house.

And my dad has a shop in my back yard for just messing around. He has his on electric bill. Its through TXU right now. But being its a shop and not a house he has to be on a business plan. He pays over 13 cents, plus he has a $25 delivery charge because its classified as a business. His bill last month was $75 dollars. He has no ac or heat in it. its time to change providers for him to.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                              I'm on a Co-op and love it. My highest electric bill in 5 years was $110 and I get a rebate back every year. Last year it was $75.

Comment

Working...
                              X