Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bald Eagle drops a DEER on power lines, causing outage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bald Eagle drops a DEER on power lines, causing outage.

Yeah, you read it right. Badass animals, and lmao @ the bolded bit.

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) – A deer fawn apparently dropped by a bald eagle onto a high-voltage line was behind a power outage this week in western Montana, a Northwestern Energy official said on Friday.
    "It's a first-time thing," Northwestern spokeswoman Michelle Sullivan said. "A deer dangling on the line, that's never happened before."
    Sullivan said linemen investigating the cause of the outage in a rural neighborhood of East Missoula couldn't believe their eyes when they found the carcass of the fawn draped over electric wires more than two stories high.
    Workers blamed the eagle after homeowner Lee Bridges reported that one of the birds had spent 15 minutes perched in a spruce in her yard that morning just after the neighborhood lost electricity.
    When Northwestern crews arrived, Bridges approached a repairman to learn what caused the outage.
    "He pointed up to the sky and said, 'There's your problem -- a flying deer,'" said Bridges.

She said the eagle, one of a family nesting on the nearby Clark Fork River, had likely been plotting how to retrieve what remained of its prey.
    Bridges collected her camera and began shooting pictures.
    "I thought nobody was going to believe this," she said.
    Bald eagles can have wingspans of nearly 8 feet and weigh up to 14 pounds. Accounts suggest the fawn was just days old, if that.
    Northwestern's Sullivan said the outage lasted roughly half an hour and affected about 30 homes.
    The regional company serves about 665,000 customers in Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska.
    (Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Peter Bohan)

Pics or it didn't happen.

Comment

That's awesome! We're at Lake Whitney right now, and they have them here. Would be cool to see one.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
        That's awesome! We're at Lake Whitney right now, and they have them here. Would be cool to see one.
        Saw my first one ever out in E. Texas a few months back. Was awesome. What's funny is, we were shooting vultures with a pellet gun, and the Eagle was coming in from across the lake. I took aim at it and everyone was yelling "NO NO NO!! DON'T SHOOT THAT!" haha. Hell, I didn't know what it was.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Leah and I saw one in Colorado last year. It was kick ass. I saw them regularly when I lived in wa. One nested near my uncles house.

Comment

Bald eagles can easily take deer fawns. When they're born, deer fawns can be as light as 3lbs. Several species of hawks and owls take them, too.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

this

Comment

Originally posted by longshot View Post
                this
                That is kickass

Comment

Originally posted by longshot View Post
                  this
                  He's at the 50, 40, 30, 20....he's down.

That is flat out awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    Pics or it didn't happen.
                    here ya go.
                    Attached Files

Comment

They are common here in the north. It's awesome to watch them hunt the fields.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        Leah and I saw one in Colorado last year. It was kick ass. I saw them regularly when I lived in wa. One nested near my uncles house.
                        I brought my kayaks out to Farifield a couple of months ago an saw one flying around. Pretty big ass bird and was cool to see...

Comment

When I get my other computer running I will post up pics of 13 of them eating on the beach in front of the house I rented in Wash State... What people don't realize is the adults are a good 3-4 ft tall when perched. These are huge beautiful birds...

Comment

I've seen one or two in zoos or whatnot, but I've never seen one out in the wild. That would be super fucking cool. Did some reading yesterday and their population has gone from only around 500 to over 8000. It would be a crime against nature if that bird went extinct.

Comment

He was just trying to cook his food.

We used to go out to Lake Jacksonville and I think they had 3 on the lake out there.
                              An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
                              X