Explaining a pet's death to kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaining a pet's death to kids

Today I found out our cat Dodger of 11 years has terminal cancer and has about 6 months to live with or without any treatment. The decision to put him down isn't as difficult as is the timing.

Our 25 year old cat (yes, really) has been losing weight we figure she is just about done. I will be taking her to the vet later this week and expect her prognosis could be any number of things that aren't good and may not be with us much longer.

Depending on what we learn about the older cat, we may have to make the decision to put them both down at the same time or in short distance between. That will be rough on the kids besides my wife and I.

Just thinking how to ease the kids into saying goodbye. I pretty much already know how I am going to handle it.

Definitely both at once so that you don't have to go through the agony of hearing everyone crying more than once.

Comment

but id have to agree both at the same time

my grandma just put here cat down that was older then me, he looked like a a bag of bones he pretty much stop cleaning him self so his fer look horrible and shitting in here bed and stuff!

Comment

I'm sure Tweedle will be in here to talk shit for this, but I lol'd at "fer".

On topic, tell them about both at the same time. Better to grieve and cope at once then to have to do it all over again. Also, tell them that they aren't really dead and will be back as zombies to try and eat their brains.

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post

my grandma just put here cat down that was older then me, he looked like a a bag of bones he pretty much stop cleaning him self so his fer look horrible and shitting in here bed and stuff!
          Yeah, its pretty much what I am leaning toward. Fortunately this cat is no where near that far gone or the decision would have already been made and done. I'll know more when I talk to the vet again.

Comment

Originally posted by 80coupe View Post

God damn, did you ever set foot in a school?

Frank, there's no easy way man. I'm not sure I can suggest putting them both down at the same time though. I've put down three animals in my life and felt very guilty afterwards. I'm feeling for ya.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Our cat was 9 when it did not come home one night. I told the kids "Tiger ran away and joined the circus", they bought it hook line and sinker.... my kids were 8 and 4 at the time. Hard part was getting the wife to play along.

Comment

Be honest and straight forward. Kids can handle things a lot better than most people give them credit for. Don't make up a bunch of horseshit, just be straight but caring.

When we put our Rott down, our girls were there and I explained the process to them. Death is life so break them in young.

Comment

We've been through it a couple of times with our little girl. There's no easy way. We were honest with her and explained everything we could and just dealt with the questions as they came up. It was touch and go for a few days, but she came through it just fine.

If the one isn't sick enough to be put down, I'd suggest waiting. There's no worse feeling than watching their head drop and take their last breath as they die. I wouldn't want to asking myself if there's some other path I could've taken.

And don't lie to your kids - they'll resent it later.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                    We've been through it a couple of times with our little girl. There's no easy way. We were honest with her and explained everything we could and just dealt with the questions as they came up. It was touch and go for a few days, but she came through it just fine.

If the one isn't sick enough to be put down, I'd suggest waiting. There's no worse feeling than watching their head drop and take their last breath as they die. I wouldn't want to asking myself if there's some other path I could've taken.

And don't lie to your kids - they'll resent it later.
                    We saw this with Santa. Call me a selfish prick, but I didn't want some old fat fuck getting the credit for my hard work, so we never did the santa ordeal. Others in the family did. When my Aunt's kid turned 7 and found out he refused to speak to his parents for awhile because they lied to him. Get a call and an apology for the bitching we received from them and a 'wish we would have followed your path...'

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      God damn, did you ever set foot in a school?

Frank, there's no easy way man. I'm not sure I can suggest putting them both down at the same time though. I've put down three animals in my life and felt very guilty afterwards. I'm feeling for ya.
                      nope!

Comment

You show your kids this video.

Comment

How old are the kids? One of our neighbors had one of their dogs put down but they told their kids that it just got out of the fence and "ran away". They seemed okay with it.

If they're old enough to get a grasp on what death is, it's probably a good idea to just be straightfoward. But if they're super little I'd probably just try to get by with as little info as possible to save from the hundred questions that'll come with it.
                          --Marcus

Comment

25? Holy shit.

Comment

Have them both put down, tell your kids that they ran away. Get them a new cat or cats and they'll forget the old ones ever existed. Kids are stupid. No offense.
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X