Issues with Winchester White Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Winchester White Box?

Has anyone here had issues with WWB lately? I normally have no problems at all using them in my .45, granted it's been awhile since I've shot them through due to other boxes laying around. But the other day I was shooting my new Taurus PT709 (flame away haters...haha), and i had a jam (FTE) that I figured could have been a variety of issues, so I didn't bother too much. Then I had another odd firing situation that's hard to describe...it seemed like a delayed combustion. After this I reinspect my bullets, and notice one had some deep grooves formed into the side of the round (See crappy cell phone pic below). Now I do not know the tolerancing of these bullets, but this was a .0195" impression in the shell casing about .097" wide. I found a few less severe that I discarded as well.

Then we went through a friends box of 9mm WWB as well (same gun, tesing them and prepping for an alternate CCW). We noticed one round didn't even have a primer.

And the PT709 with Laser Guard

Since Feb of last year I've put 2000+ rounds of various ammo (cheap Russian steel case, Magtech, S&B, Remington, Hornady, CCI Blazer, etc) through my Beretta 9mm and about 1200 rounds of various ammo through my Sig 9mm. The ONLY FTF I had was in my Beretta and it was with WWB.

I posted on the Beretta forum i'm on and apparently some others had some issues with WWB. They claimed it had to do with Winchester moving their facilities to a different state (I think it was from IL to MO but could be mistaken on this) and perhaps some quality control issues with disgruntled employees, etc. Google and you might find more info on this.

Marcus
    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

Try switching to Blazer; I did for my 9mm guns for cost ($10 per box at Palmetto State) and have had zero problems in 3 guns and about 1000 rounds so far. Been a while since I used WWB....
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I personally like the S&B (Sellier & Bellot) 115 grain 9mm for range shooting. Made in Czech Republich. Good quality, not too dirty, small boxes store easy, and I grab it on sale at Cabelas for $9.95 / box. For what it's worth, my Sig was factory tested using S&B. They included the empty cases in the box when I purchased the gun new.

I like Remington 147 grain Golden Sabers for my self defense rounds.

Marcus
        '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

Yes, my Khar doesn't like them much, and my O/U won't eject them. My 1100 has no problem though, nor my TCP.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

i've had a couple issues with their ammo on my .40 & .30-30, but not a whole lot. i primarily use hornady and remington.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cammer97 View Post
              I personally like the S&B (Sellier & Bellot) 115 grain 9mm for range shooting. Made in Czech Republich. Good quality, not too dirty, small boxes store easy, and I grab it on sale at Cabelas for $9.95 / box. For what it's worth, my Sig was factory tested using S&B. They included the empty cases in the box when I purchased the gun new.

I like Remington 147 grain Golden Sabers for my self defense rounds.

Marcus
              This seems to be good ammo at a good price. I have gone through over 800 rounds of 9mm and .40 with no issues. now Monarch.........

Comment

Just shot some .45 WWB this weekend with my buddy; he bought the 100 round value pack and we had zero issues with them. I believe he bought them from Academy if it matters.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I got flamed a few months ago for speaking out against wwb. Its the only bullet I have found so far that my 9mm hates. Now Im using cheap federal for range and plinking.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try some of the suggestions until WWB clears up their issues.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                    Just shot some .45 WWB this weekend with my buddy; he bought the 100 round value pack and we had zero issues with them. I believe he bought them from Academy if it matters.
                    I don't think location matters as much as which lot they were from. This sounds like it's a lot based issue.

Originally posted by Droppedlime View Post
                    I got flamed a few months ago for speaking out against wwb. Its the only bullet I have found so far that my 9mm hates. Now Im using cheap federal for range and plinking.
                    Why would you get flammed? Were you being wreckless or was someone on here really protective of value pack range ammo?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

Why would you get flammed? Were you being wreckless or was someone on here really protective of value pack range ammo?

Too many people over protective of WWB, I just asked about another bullet instead of WWB which I thought was very subpar to many other bullets I had used.

Comment

Winchester white box from walmart FTE in my steyr M9

Comment

I used to use that winchester white box in my glock until I did my CHL class with it and the gun jammed three times. The instructor was a glock hater and pretty much bashed me the rest of the class. I will never use that ammo again.
                          07 GT500
                          05 SRT10
                          88 turbocoupe T-bird
                          93 Cobra
                          86 coupe
                          Ducati 848

Comment

Never have had one issue with WWB in my XD-40.

Think positively though...this gives you great practice to run your Type 1, 2 and 3 malfunction drills!
                            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

It's been a while, but the WWB ammo was very dirty compared to S&B ammo in .357 sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X