Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bang for the buck home internet these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bang for the buck home internet these days?

I've been using Charter Spectrum basic cable internet since I moved back to Texas in 2018 and for the most part was fairly satisfied even with their most basic service which was 35mbps for $14.99..I don't game, rarely stream other than Amazon Prime movies or Netflix so it WAS adequate. When I moved from my old rental house about 3 miles from where I am now I transferred the service over here but I fairly regularly noticed laggy speeds, but speedtest and fast.com showed I was still getting the speed I'm paying for...but in the last 2 months I have noticed dramatic slowdowns...almost to the point I don't even have internet. I've contacted Spectrum and they run thru the same bullshit tests as always eliminating my modem/router and have said on the last 3 calls that they "found something on their end and they are going to put me on hold"..and then they never come back. Nothing changes. I'm tired of calling customer service and being put in que for 30 or even 45 minutes. Spectrum sucks. I've tested my speeds today a few times...at 5am I was getting 35mbps...but as of this moment I am getting 1.3mbps...and that's IF it will even connect to the server. I'm looking for suggestions.

Ask your neighbor for their wifi password? :-)

Hell, tethering your cell phone would beat those speeds. I checked my phone at home last night and was seeing 250-ish MBPS.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
      Ask your neighbor for their wifi password? :-)

Hell, tethering your cell phone would beat those speeds. I checked my phone at home last night and was seeing 250-ish MBPS.
      I wish that was true, but my house sits at the bottom of a valley and Verizon service is almost non-existent inside my house. I'm in the process of switching to T-Mobile as soon as the Sim card arrives so that might be a temporary solution until I find a new provider.

Comment

Have you looked into Starlink? I’m in the same boat as you. Out in the country with no options except Spectrum and yeah it sucks. I’m going to look at Starlink when it becomes available sometime in the Fall, last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          Have you looked into Starlink? I’m in the same boat as you. Out in the country with no options except Spectrum and yeah it sucks. I’m going to look at Starlink when it becomes available sometime in the Fall, last time I checked.
          I'm literally a block from Duncanville High School so there is no excuse for this shitty service except they won't do anything to make it better. I've been looking at anything that's better than this, just depends on the price.

Comment

There's this, eventually?

Well, more like 4G LTE right now, and you'll probably need someone to put up the radio

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              I think that might be slight overkill for what I'm needing lol.

Comment

Admittedly, I didn't read the article before posting, my bad.

Comment

Working...
                X