Roof Top Tent on the Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Top Tent on the Raptor

I finally got the KB Voodoo Max Modular bed rack and iKamper installed this week. We're heading out camping on Saturday.

As you can see, the rear sags when the tent is open and my wife is up there. However it doesn't appear to sag at all when the tent is closed up. Still, I'm probably going to add a new leaf spring.

When I initially tried to install it, I used iKampers Gen 2.0 mounting brackets. Those wouldn't work with the Max Modular's thick crossbars so I had to buy the original 1.0 brackets. Those worked just fine. The iKamper is VERY nice. Surprisingly so. It's be enough for me and my wife to keep a small dog kennel for her Westie. I think there will be some fun times in our future..

I'm guessing it stays cool enough out there to not even need AC?

Comment

Man, there are still big snow drifts on the mountains. I can see them from my house. But yes. The area we're camping at this weekend has night lows in the mid 50s. However that's in town. We'll be about 4000ft higher than that so I expect temps will be in the 40s at night.

Heck, my property near Breckenridge had a high of 73 when I was up there on Monday. Of course that is on the side of a mountain at 11400ft.

Comment

very nice

Comment

I like it. Part of me says the roof top tent is awesome, then part of me says I can throw a 150.00 tent in the back that springs into action super easy. I have looked around a lot and for the money the RCI racks seam pretty decent. I am not sure the wife would be interested in camping that much but the full set up would look trick on my big Ford. Like the grill, compressors, storage that slide, etc etc. Just money right! Maybe when I finish my stupid M I will start on it.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

RCI makes great racks. They’re right up the road in Ft Collins. I would have bought from them but they also have about a 6 week back order. Max Modular was able to get a rack to me in a week. It’s roughly the same price too.

We took the rig out camping last night along Mammoth Gulch near Rollinsville, CO. Fun times..

Comment

That looks awesome. I have thought about a setup like that for my old jeep. I have safari rack and basket system already, so it would be easy to do this. Jealous of those cooler temps. We are melting on the baseball fields here in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                That looks awesome. I have thought about a setup like that for my old jeep. I have safari rack and basket system already, so it would be easy to do this. Jealous of those cooler temps. We are melting on the baseball fields here in TX.
                They sell a little pod that you can air condition!
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  Amen on the melting on baseball fields. It was better last weekend with the 96* temp before heat index, instead of 103* plus. I'm glad we are done for the summer.
                  sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                  17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                  13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                  65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                    Amen on the melting on baseball fields. It was better last weekend with the 96* temp before heat index, instead of 103* plus. I'm glad we are done for the summer.
                    Since my knee and foot shot I have been way more motivated, right in the middle of summer, not sure why I waited so long! Tree trimming, mail box repair, and fence building for 6 hours yesterday and 6 hours Monday was kicking my ass. Nice to have a pool to fall into. You know it is bad when you have to rinse and change clothes at 4 hours because you are tired of the swamp.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      Since my knee and foot shot I have been way more motivated, right in the middle of summer, not sure why I waited so long! Tree trimming, mail box repair, and fence building for 6 hours yesterday and 6 hours Monday was kicking my ass. Nice to have a pool to fall into. You know it is bad when you have to rinse and change clothes at 4 hours because you are tired of the swamp.
                      I do not miss that aspect of Texas at all. I think my roots will be planted here in the PNW.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        Amen!
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                          I do not miss that aspect of Texas at all. I think my roots will be planted here in the PNW.
                          Same, I loving it up here!

Comment

Right now, where I live in Erie, it’s 65F but an unusually high 60% humidity. Normally humidity is under 10%. It’s gonna get up to 95F today but humidity is expected to drop a lot.

The great thing is that I can just drive 30 minutes to get into the mountains and the temps drop below 60. Estes Park (just outside Rocky Mountain National Park) has a high of 76F today. That usually means the temps, at the upper elevations of the park, will be in the 50s.

We were going to go camping again this weekend but it looks like thunderstorms are forecasted for the entire weekend in the mountains. We may just drive up to our mountain property and hang out if the weather doesn’t get too bad. Maybe take the Raptor over Mosquito Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                              Right now, where I live in Erie, it’s 65F but an unusually high 60% humidity. Normally humidity is under 10%. It’s gonna get up to 95F today but humidity is expected to drop a lot.

The great thing is that I can just drive 30 minutes to get into the mountains and the temps drop below 60. Estes Park (just outside Rocky Mountain National Park) has a high of 76F today. That usually means the temps, at the upper elevations of the park, will be in the 50s.

We were going to go camping again this weekend but it looks like thunderstorms are forecasted for the entire weekend in the mountains. We may just drive up to our mountain property and hang out if the weather doesn’t get too bad. Maybe take the Raptor over Mosquito Pass.
                              That sounds like livin!

Comment

Working...
                              X