Ford truck purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford truck purchase

Hey guys, wanted to get opinions. I am in the market for a used F150 and I just wanted to see some others thoughts on the V8 vs v6 ecoboost.

I looked at a 2015 f150 XLT v6 2.7 eco. I prefer a V8 but it seems like they are getting harder to find. I?m always hesitant on anything with a turbo, but would like others opinions.

I may have to tow a small trailer occasionally for scouts but nothing else major.

So should I stick with a search for a v8 or are the v6 options comparable and dependable?

My dad has a 22 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost. 25K miles so far and not a problem to be seen. Gets 20mpg and it's shockingly quick for a regular production truck. Towing is no issue. In my research on the engine, I found no issues or complaints, it's rock solid. V8 is a good choice, ecoboost is equally good.

Comment

My 18 3.5 ecoboost has had to have cam phasers twice now at 32k and 55k miles so personally I wouldn't get another ecoboost, it also gets terrible mileage 15mpg or less (leveled on just a slightly larger than stock tire 4x4 3.55's)

Comment

I've heard of 3.5 V-6 EB motors having the water pump go out and since its inside the timing chain valley it flood the engine with coolant and shits the motor. I believe that happens only after 75-100k miles.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

get the 5.0 v8 or don't buy a ford truck! ecoboost sucks dick...

Comment

I had a 2018 ecoboost 3.5 until last November with 88,xxx miles. No issues even have sport on ever time i drove. You could always get a new XL f150 for as much as a used one. Which once i get in the market for a truck again. I'm going to look for one with a 36 gallon fuel tank. No matter what liter engine.

Comment

I have a 2011 F150 with the 3.5 EB. It's strong AF but it rattles like a jar of marbles every time you cold start it. The Gen 1 (and some Gen 2) EB motors have a problem with cam phasers and it's not a simple repair. Cheap if you do it yourself, $4k to pay a shop.

My wife has a full-size 2018 Transit van with the 3.5 EB. We had the cam phases replaced under warranty with around 20k miles on the van. I heard them rattling on start up within 6 months of buying it (new). Again, it's strong AF but not without problems. And it gets 14 MPG.

I've heard the 2.7 EB is a great little motor, nearly as fast as the 3.5 and gets great mileage compared to the 3.5. I can confirm that the 3.5 tows VERY well - I've run all over east Texas and into LA pulling a 21' Skeeter at 70 mph and the truck handles the weight very well.

Having said that, I won't own another EB. Get the 5.0

Comment

I have a 2019 2.7 EB with the 10 speed auto. I love it. It gets 23-25 mpg on the highway and about 18mpg combined. I have 35k miles without issue.

I have a 20' car hauler that I tow my Mustang around with and it has no issues pulling it. I loaded it up once with my FJ, riding mower, and a spare motor(about 11K total) and it it had no issues maintaining 70 mph from Meridian to FW and it got 14-15mpg on that trip. It pulled the load better than my buddies 2021 GMC Trail Boss.

Almost immediately after I bought my truck, I added a high flow catted down pipe, new CAI, larger FMIC, catch can, and a tune. It scoots right along now.
                01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

I'd pass on the ecoboosts. I had one as a 'work truck' with my previous employer.
                  It had to go into the shop 3x in the year I had it for simply a failed temp sensor that was apparently located inside the engine (according to the techs that worked on it).
                  It would peg the temp gauge and limp mode the truck. Seems like an over reaction for a failed sensor. Truck had 30k miles.

My team had about 6-8 of those trucks, and they all made interesting and different noises upon start up.

To be frank I'd avoid any ford product that pipes the awfully loud chiming and beep noises through the speakers with no option to turn some of them off. Starting my truck with the door open every morning and being blasted by annoying ass beeping at 6am was irritating enough to avoid the brand entirely. I will say a 5.0 single cab truck with a slight drop would be cool.

The truck was surprisingly quick for a stripper model service truck loaded down with testing equipment.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I?d advise you to stay away from one regardless of engine, but that?s my personal experience. I had a 2016 5.0 and it was a pile of shit. Leaked water, door didn?t latch under 30 degrees ambient temperature, recalls, etc. I guess the only plus side was the motor. Lol. That?s my personal experience. I had a 2011 Ecoboost but only had it 2 years so I didn?t have it long enough to rate that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                      I?d advise you to stay away from one regardless of engine, but that?s my personal experience. I had a 2016 5.0 and it was a pile of shit. Leaked water, door didn?t latch under 30 degrees ambient temperature, recalls, etc. I guess the only plus side was the motor. Lol. That?s my personal experience. I had a 2011 Ecoboost but only had it 2 years so I didn?t have it long enough to rate that one.
                      chevy, dodge, and ford all suck right now if you plan on buying a brand new truck! quality is super low on these

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                        chevy, dodge, and ford all suck right now if you plan on buying a brand new truck! quality is super low on these
                        I have a ?19 Ram 2500 and haven?t had one issue. 40k miles. I can?t remember owning something this long with 0 problems. Maybe mines a unicorn.

Comment

Yep. All my guys have new trucks and we have a 2021 Eco Crew, so I here and see the issues all the time. I drove my 97 PS in for snow days and they were all talking about buying an old truck.

Hell I was looking at newer Jeeps recently. Apparently every 3.6/3.8 Chrysler makes, shits the oil filter housing in the middle of the valley of the engine. They leak like hell. WTH
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I got over 210k miles out of my first 6.2L in my 19 Sierra AT4(it seized up, twice). It was under $5k for a new long block and we installed it at a friend's shop. The first replacement barely lasted 16K before it started knocking. GM replaced it under warranty and paid me warranty labor(thru my business) to do the swap again. The new engine sounds a lot quieter than the 1st replacement did on startup.

I have heard on the AT4 groups that both the 6.2L and 3L diesels(mini duramax) have been sketchy the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                              I have a ?19 Ram 2500 and haven?t had one issue. 40k miles. I can?t remember owning something this long with 0 problems. Maybe mines a unicorn.
                              you can't remember owning anything that long? 40k miles ain't shit! holler at me again when you put actual miles on it,

if i give $70,000+ for a new truck and that thing last by the time i get it paid for then that would be a miracle.

Comment

Working...
                              X