Ford truck purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scootro View Post
    you can't remember owning anything that long? 40k miles ain't shit! holler at me again when you put actual miles on it,

if i give $70,000+ for a new truck and that thing last by the time i get it paid for then that would be a miracle.
    I can?t remember owning anything brand new that I didn?t have an issue before that many miles. I?ve owned a lot of cars both new and used.

Comment

I have a 2013 w/ the 3.5 eco boost I've owned since new. Currently it has 95,000 miles. I had originally wanted the v8, but after driving both, I left with the 3.5. Felt great to drive, and towed like a monster. The truck has never really been to the shop, and even at 95k has zero rattles. My wife's stupid aviator has more rattles (that's a whole other story). As soon as I leveled it and went up to 34 inch tires my MPG went to shit - which would be my main complaint. I used to get 14, 15 if I did some highway driving, but I'm mostly city and have a lead foot. My MPG has slowly dropped to high 12's, low 13's. I changed spark plugs & boots, cleaned the maf and have done everything I can think of. I asked the dealer and they recommended a fuel induction service which they recommended every 30,000 to clean up the buildup, but reading online people say NOT to do that as it can/will cook your turbos. I've decided unless I want to yank the heads and have the valves cleaned I'm probably just stuck with the low fuel economy. Power is probably 80% of new, I'm definitely down, but it still pulls decent. I haven't heard of the 5.0's having any of these issues. I know they've updated the 3.5 eco's, but I'm not sure exactly what's different.

All that being said, I tried to convince my BIL to get the 5.0 (but he didn't follow my advice and got a 22 w/ the 3.5). If I end up with another F150, I will definitely be getting the 5.0. Simpler is just better, most mechanics would agree.
      DamonH

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        I can?t remember owning anything brand new that I didn?t have an issue before that many miles. I?ve owned a lot of cars both new and used.
        understood!

Comment

I've got an 800+ HP 3.5 EB in my shop if anyone wants to build a monster... my play funds dried up right as I finished the motor and I decided to shelf the project.

Comment

The rwd 3.5 has an external water pump so you dont have to worry about the waterpump issues like a taurus or explorer. The early model 3.5 ecoboost had issues with carbon buildup like all early direct injection systems, the later models added port injectors to remedy this. So indeed you do need to do an induction service to try and knock it down the best you can without manually scrubbing the valves. It has to be done right though because if they try to blow through the intake tube at the air filter then yes it will mess up the turbos but if done right and they pull off at the throttle body and spray directly into it then you wont harm the turbos. The system we use is Bg so i dont know what kind've system everyone else uses but i go straight through the throttle body with the maf disconnected. Your best friend for any direct injection engine is a catchcan at least on the pcv side though.

Comment

I've been eye balling F350 1978-1997. Newer truck are fancy. Just the look of the older ones look so much more appealing. Besides the price like a new truck

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                I've heard of 3.5 V-6 EB motors having the water pump go out and since its inside the timing chain valley it flood the engine with coolant and shits the motor. I believe that happens only after 75-100k miles.
                Mel has the non EB 3.5 in her Explorer, water pump started leaking @ 116,000. We caught it BEFORE there was any damage to engine, and replaced water pump only. Timing chain, etc would have run around $3400 iirc. She’s going to trade it in so we did water pump only and it was still fucking $2700. Not only that, 3 shops refused to touch it because it was internal.

Over half a million miles spread out over 3 4th Gen Rams, and outside of routine maintenance, 1 had a/c evap replaced, and replaced cam/lifters @ 203,000 due to seized lifter caused by MDS. 255,000 strong now and still runs great. The other two had no issues ever. I drive them hard too.

If you’re dead set on Ford I would get the 5.0 no question, but Ford quality is pretty poor these days.
                Last edited by bcoop; 02-10-2023, 05:38 AM.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Now, I'm thinking of buying a 202x f150. Hard to even think of a new new truck as some are probably still a 2022 labeled as a 2023. Ive been eyeballing some K5 also.

Comment

Working...
                  X