No announcement yet.

Private space travel companies set to make big leaps in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony stark finally sharing his ideas ?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      This stuff fascinates me. We need more private company involvement to really push the human race into space. Hard to believe it's barely been 100 years since we flew for the first time. Imagine where we'll be in another 100
      Damnit Eric! Have you not seen idiocracy? We're all fucked

Then maybe you'll go to jail for not having any money!

It's got what plants crave
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Very cool company. One of the Reservists in my unit out here works for SpaceX. I forget what he does exactly for them. I know he has a degree in Aeronautical Engineering or something like that.

Our .gov is no longer interested in trying to get us into space so that leaves private venture and I'm happy to see SpaceX making good strides in that direction.
        2004 Suzuki DL650
        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Strictly from an airflow / fluids perspective. Certainly not mechanically, economically, etc.

Simulation suggests Musk's Hyperloop 'quite viable'

Ashlee Vance
          Updated 8:28 am, Thursday, September 19, 2013

Specifications of Elon Musk's Hyperloop were fed into a computer at Ansys with no red flags resulting, according to Sandeep Sovani.

When billionaire Elon Musk unveiled the Hyperloop in August, his critics were quick to scoff at his proposal for a new, super fast mode of transportation. A number of people derided Musk's white paper as cartoonish and vague. Musk, founder and CEO of Tesla, vowed to prove the naysayers wrong by building an actual physical prototype, but that's not expected to arrive for years.

Meanwhile, some evidence has just appeared that shows Musk may indeed be onto something.

Ansys, the maker of very high-end simulation software used to design planes, trains, automobiles and all manner of other things, has fed the Hyperloop specifications into a computer and come away impressed.

"I don't immediately see any red flags," says Sandeep Sovani, the director of land transportation strategy at Ansys. "I think it is quite viable."

Musk's design called for an elevated tube to be built between two cities. Pods would be shot back and forth inside of the tube at speeds reaching up to 800 miles per hour. Air bearings placed near the underside of the pods would create a cushion to reduce friction, and the pods would be accelerated by pulses from electric motors. To cut down on resistance, Musk proposed having vacuums at the front of the pods that would suck in air, while also having the tube in a low pressure state. The end result? A 30-minute ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Ansys studied Musk's lengthy Hyperloop white paper. The company used the artists' renderings in the document to create a virtual mockup of a pod and the tube that could be fed into simulation software. It then decided to study what the air pressure might look like on the pod and inside of the tube and set a computer to work for a few hours to perform the necessary calculations.

While Sovani found the overall design to be feasible, he does think the Hyperloop will need some tweaks. For one, instead of having the pods taper at the end, he thinks they should be cylindrical with a large jet engine-type contraption at the front to suck in the air. While a soup can-shaped pod might not look as cool, it would allow for a more even distribution of air pressure across the outside of the pod and allow it to suck in more air. "In our opinion, it has to be very, very symmetrical," says Sovani.

Sovani also suggests that air bearings would do a better job of spreading air across the body of the pods. The Ansys simulation showed very uneven stress markings alongside the body of the pod.

"We see a lot of shear stress areas," Sovani says. "In something like an aircraft, the patterns would be very uniform." Bearings on the top of the pod would help the device stay balanced during slight changes in air pressure.

SpaceX uses the Ansys software, so Musk is familiar with this type of simulation technology. So too are thousands of companies that use software to design products from the ground up virtually before building physical prototypes.

Sovani plans to keep tweaking the design of the Hyperloop pods in the software and eventually to send Musk some suggestions.

Comment

Can you imagine the target one of those would make? Weaken the tube supports and you have several thousand pound missiles flying at 800 miles an hour, full of people
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

FYI, Space X will be launching at 3:33 Central time today. They will be launching a Dragon capsule and sending it to the ISS, and they will be taking a second shot at landing the Falcon 9 reusable booster stage on an autonomous barge.

You can live-stream here: http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/13/wat...ship-recovery/

The last time they did this they ran out of stabilizer hydraulics as the booster was descending. It landed on the barge, which by itself is really really really impressive, but it ended in a fireball.

Comment

Bad ass

Comment

is this what happened to Taliwhacker?

Comment

LMAO at "Just read the instructions!"
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

And this is why I'm working on my Space Science degree, shit is too kool for skool
                      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Almost go-time.

Comment

Fail....
                          2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
                          2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

Just kidding. 3 min left in the countdown and they scrubbed it for the day. "The attached anvil cloud rule was violated."

Tomorrow 447 pm EST.

Falcon 9

NASA has identified the Falcon 9 vehicle can not be launched under the following conditions. Some can be overridden if additional requirements[which?] are met.[3]

sustained wind at the 162 feet (49 m) foot level of the launch pad in excess of 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)
                            upper-level conditions containing wind shear[quantify] that could lead to control problems for the launch vehicle.
                            launch through a cloud layer greater than 4,500 feet (1,400 m) thick that extends into freezing temperatures
                            launch within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of cumulus clouds with tops that extend into freezing temperatures,
                            within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of the edge of a thunderstorm that is producing lightning within 30 minutes after the last lightning is observed.
                            within 19 kilometres (10 nmi) of an attached thunderstorm anvil cloud
                            within 9.3 kilometres (5 nmi) of disturbed weather clouds that extend into freezing temperatures
                            within 5.6 kilometres (3 nmi) of a thunderstorm debris cloud,
                            through cumulus clouds formed as the result of or directly attached to a smoke plume,

The following should delay launch:

delay launch for 15 minutes if field mill instrument readings within 9.3 kilometres (5 nmi) of the launch pad exceed +/- 1,500 volts per meter, or +/- 1,000 volts per meter
                            delay launch for 30 minutes after lightning is observed within 10 nautical miles (19 km; 12 mi) of the launch pad or the flight path

Comment

I was really hoping to see it go today. I have a good feeling about them sticking the landing this time.

Comment

Weather is 60% "go" for today’s Falcon 9 launch attempt, sending Dragon to resupply the International Space Station. Lightning and clouds are still a concern

Comment

Working...
                                X