Need some fuel system tech advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some fuel system tech advice

So I just replaced basically my entire fuel system on my 62 Bel Air. Brand new tank, sending unit, hoses, hardline to carb, inline fuel filter, fuel pump. The dilemma is before I replaced everything my fuel gauge did not work at all. Now it works and shows the correct amount when off, 1/2 tank. That's correct. When I turn it over/turn on the ignition it goes down to 1/4 tank, which is wrong. I turn it back off, goes back to 1/2 tank again. The connections should be good on the ground and the single pole wire to the sending unit on the tank. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Is there a missing resistor or ground? Possibly under the dash or near the cluster?

Comment

The only thing I didn't replace was the gauge to sending unit wire, it is original and plugged right into the pole on the new sending unit with no issue. So I am not sure if theres a ground or something up front. You think theres a bad ground at the gauge? It seems to me theres an opposite polarity going on. The gauge is working, it's just doing the opposite of what i think it should be doing.

Comment

Sounds to me like the gauge is bad. It's an old car, so that would be my guess since you have replaced everything to new.
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Some of the GM products were screwy when it came to gauges
          especially Fuel Gauges.

Some were gauge wire grounded FULL.
          Some were gauge wire grounded EMPTY.

Step 1 Remove wire to gauge at the tank with engine on.
          If needle on Fuel Gauge falls to Empty or Full, problem is with the tank.

Step 2 Ground Gauge wire to ground. Needle will go to opposite direction of
          Step 1.

Step 3 Ground Gauge wire to tank as this will prove the grounding of the tank to
          chassis. Fuel Gauge will operate as in Step 2. if not, tank sensor is faulty.

Comment

Working...
          X