Gov. Abbott launching statewide 'street takeover' task force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov. Abbott launching statewide 'street takeover' task force

AUSTIN, Texas ? In light of the recent "street takeovers" that have resulted in numerous arrests and viral videos on social media, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has launched a statewide task force to crack down on these events.

According to a press release from Abbott's office, he has directed the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) to address the recent street takeovers in several communities, which he says have become "increasingly violent and more frequent, resulting in injuries to law enforcement officers and endangering the public." Abbott said a clear message needs to be sent "that these reckless, coordinated criminal events will not be tolerated in Texas."

Abbott said the task force will work closely with local officials and law enforcement to investigate, prosecute, and prevent these dangerous street takeovers.

The creation of this task force comes after seven people were arrested from street takeovers in the Austin area, which garnered millions of views on social media. A Dallas man was among those arrested in connection with the Austin street takeover.

On New Year's Eve last year, video and photos surfaced from a street takeover in Grapevine. The accused ringleader of the Grapevine street takeover was arrested on Feb. 21 by Sweetwater police.

?These street takeovers put the lives of Texans and Texas law enforcement officers at risk,? said DPS Director Steven McCraw. ?We are seeing fireworks fired at officers in crowds, lasers pointed at aircraft, drivers driving upwards of 130 miles per hour with no lights on in the dark of night?all of it is reckless, and it needs to be stopped.?

Witness video from the Austin street takeover obtained by KVUE showed cars spinning in circles, crowds running at police cars and setting off fireworks.

In January, several vehicles blocked off Interstate 10 near San Antonio with drivers doing donuts. Witnesses told KENS at least one person fired a gun into the air. Then a couple weeks later, an 18-year-old was shot and killed after a car meetup on the west side, KENS reported.

The newly launched task force will be led by members of DPS? Criminal Investigations Division, Texas Highway Patrol, Aviation Operations Division, and Intelligence and Counterterrorism Division, working in conjunction with local law enforcement agencies statewide, Abbott's office said in the press release. The task force will focus on state-level investigations that target the organized crime aspect of the street takeovers with the goal of making arrests and seizing assets, including vehicles and weapons, the release added.

DPS is also reminding the public to report any suspicious activity when it comes to possible street takeovers through iWatchTexas. Tips can be reported via the website, the free iOS or Android mobile app or by calling (844)643-2251. All reports are confidential.

Videos have gone viral online in the past few months showing large crowds and numerous vehicles "taking over" intersections and highways.

Whatever happened to the good old days when we found places at industrial parks and just raced? This sideshow shit is so fuxking stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
      Whatever happened to the good old days when we found places at industrial parks and just raced? This sideshow shit is so fuxking stupid.
      Cops fucked that up!! I miss the old street races of the 90?s!!
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Sideshows are retarded. though I do enjoy seeing the dipshot's darwin award themselves running up to the cars as the home run them to the stratosphere.
        I think we could get away with fire bombing the lot of them with helicopters.
        I think it sucks for the rest of us though because now that these task forces will exist they will have to prove they are needed and will harass anyone with aftermarket exhaust or anything that gives them "probable cause" to say they are doing their job.

long story short "f the sideshows but also f the government and it's ever expanding reach." I blame the original Fast and the furious. Life was better before it.

Comment

This is what happens when you let all those people from CA come to your state. Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and Austin are in a race to all become the next San Francisco. Enjoy the ride, it?s gonna get bumpy and stinky?.

Comment

It's more with each new generation. The more senseless they become. The thought seem as they have more right to anything they want to say or do than when we were younger.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              Cops fucked that up!! I miss the old street races of the 90?s!!
              X2..although I've seen a lot of fucked up shit at the old street races, bike crashes, some horrific car crashes, stabbings, shootings, big time fights. Still wonder what happened to the Post Office Jeep that used to troll Vipers back in the day. Seen some seriously fast trailer cars that had no business in a street environment. Ahh..the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                X2..although I've seen a lot of fucked up shit at the old street races, bike crashes, some horrific car crashes, stabbings, shootings, big time fights. Still wonder what happened to the Post Office Jeep that used to troll Vipers back in the day. Seen some seriously fast trailer cars that had no business in a street environment. Ahh..the good old days.
                I remember that Jeep! Had a Nitrous wet system didn't it?

Comment

I remember that Jeep! Had a Nitrous wet system didn't it?
                  Never got to see what powered it, just know that bitch was fast.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post

I think it sucks for the rest of us though because now that these task forces will exist they will have to prove they are needed and will harass anyone with aftermarket exhaust or anything that gives them "probable cause" to say they are doing their job.
                    Is that why Anna PD pulled me over for no front plate today at noon? Not speeding, not doing anything stupid or to draw attention. Just a guy driving his GTO with a loud exhaust. Same car I've been driving without a plate in Anna for the past five years. Got a written warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                      Is that why Anna PD pulled me over for no front plate today at noon? Not speeding, not doing anything stupid or to draw attention. Just a guy driving his GTO with a loud exhaust. Same car I've been driving without a plate in Anna for the past five years. Got a written warning.
                      Pretty common to be pulled over for no front plate. Happened to me in my 2018 Camaro and my mom in her 87 Turbo Coupe T-bird. Easy fishing trip for a bored cop. When I ran my dealer plates, I had quite a few pull a 180, then realize it was a dealer plate and leave.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                        Never got to see what powered it, just know that bitch was fast.
                        It was extremely violent and stupid fast

There was a green s-10 same era that could beat bikes

Also the green mustang (Leon?s?) that spun thru every gear

Those were the 3 I remember most
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Back in the late 90's there was the beginnings of this stupid shit at the street races down in Dallas. I quit going when people started pulling guns and doing/selling drugs there.

I too am against more government here, but also agree that shit has gotten out of hand.
                          Originally posted by stevo
                          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

You're not doin it for the 'gram apparently. :P

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                              This is what happens when you let all those people from CA come to your state. Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and Austin are in a race to all become the next San Francisco. Enjoy the ride, it?s gonna get bumpy and stinky?.
                              The one post I agree with you on.

Comment

Working...
                              X