LT1 Mechanic Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 Mechanic Needed

My Brother in Law has a 94 sweet Caddy Fleetwood that has been parked for 8 months. I'm wanting to buy it from him as it has only 82k.

It did run when parked but with a new battery it turns over but not firing up. I unfortunately don't have much time to turn wrenches much anymore.

Curious if anyone knows an old school mechanic shop that knows these motors.

Thanks in advance
    Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

I'd bet money on the POS unvented optispark.
    I know them well, but I don't necessarily like to work on them.
    93-94 LT1's had the first gen optispark which fail frequently due to just being a piece of shit OR the water pump leaked onto it, the 2nd gen from 95 up uses a vented optispark which is better, but still a piece of shit design. Have you checked all the fuses to see if the ECM is getting power, does the fuel pump prime with the key on?

Comment

yep, i'd start by looking at the optispark. did one on my 30th anniversary z, that was a beating

Comment

They're not super complicated motors and especially easy to work on in the B body cars. As stated, the opti spark has likely shit the bed. It's a pain in the fucking ass on a Corvette or a Z28, but a cake walk on the fleetwood.

Comment

The opti is a huge culprit, as is the pig tail that leads to the water temp sensor on the WP, not the one in the head.
          G'Day Mate

Comment

Great thanks for all the info everyone. I'll check and see if we have spark, fuses and pump.

I work mucho hours and hope its not the opti.....but its a cream puff and want it to run.
            Murph

Comment

Pics plz!

Comment

I know a guy that can help you. He?s an old school LT1 guy in the DFW area. I can tell you how to reach him via PM.

It?s gonna be the Opti most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                  I know a guy that can help you. He?s an old school LT1 guy in the DFW area. I can tell you how to reach him via PM.

It?s gonna be the Opti most likely.
                  Awesome Thank you!
                  Murph

Comment

Where's this thing located?
                    Hell it aint that damn hard to change out an optispark..assuming that is the culprit go ahead and prepare to change out the water pump, gaskets and maybe the thermostat while you're in there...water pump has to come off to change the opti anyway.

Comment

Might as well throw a blower on it too, since you will have the wrenches out already and all
                      WRX

Comment

While waiting for the other Fleetwood to be fix I came across and picked this one up. Put cold air intake and made it a "Corvette" motor.

Taking it to Lemons Rally next week. New wheels/tires coming Monday.

[IMG][/IMG]
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        Murph

Comment

Fuckin nice!! You should daily that thing instead

Comment

Tub it and drag it! That things cool as shit.

Comment

Nice to see a SHO hiding in the back.

Comment

Working...
                              X