• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You ever do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
      Maaco has gone up. Painted my wife's camry last year. Was $3300.00

Still cheaper than buying her a new car. Its brandy new with paint and new headlights.
      As someone who owns a paint store, paint has gone way up. Between that and labor increases I can see Maaco now being a not so cheap option as it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        As someone who owns a paint store, paint has gone way up. Between that and labor increases I can see Maaco now being a not so cheap option as it once was.
        That and with the prices of cars gone up most are doing like me and just doing a paint job when it looks bad.
        Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

My Bel Air is still in its original skin, the roof is powdered red primer and I’m ok with that. Lol

Comment

Seriously been putting together a list of materials and then attempting this in an inflatable paint booth. I mean, why pay someone else thousands of dollars to do something I can do myself for thousands of dollars.....

Comment

If it's just paint and doesn't really need any bodywork I'd agree with you.... but mine needed so much body work and I didn't have the time, tools, or skill for all that mess.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                Seriously been putting together a list of materials and then attempting this in an inflatable paint booth. I mean, why pay someone else thousands of dollars to do something I can do myself for thousands of dollars.....
                Ha!
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                  What brands do you like for epoxy primer/base/clear?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post

What brands do you like for epoxy primer/base/clear?
                    I don't carry an epoxy as we don't have much for industrial coatings. I do however have a good poly recommendation. What are you trying to do?

Comment

Pretty sure I need to use a DTM epoxy primer since I have a good bit of bare metal due to the classic flaking ford white paint. I'm looking to go with a nardo or chrysler ceramic grey base/clear after that. Other than a couple of holes from antennas I'll patch it doesn't need any other body work.

Comment

Before

After

Did it myself in an inflatable spray booth in a pasture..... I got all my stuff from English Color in McKinney and those guys were super nice. Used PPG Omni + for base coat (Audi Nardo Gray) and a Euro high solid clear. Took it down to bare metal, pulled all of the trim, door handles, bumper covers, and patched the 3 antenna holes. Painted the door jambs and under the hood/trunk also. Used the 3M performance spray gun with a 1.3 tip for everything but the high build primer.
                        Last edited by jw33; 02-08-2024, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Pics won’t in large but it looks pretty damn good. How much time and money do you think you have in the prep and paint?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                            Pics won’t in large but it looks pretty damn good. How much time and money do you think you have in the prep and paint?
                            Time? I don't even want to know, a fucking ton..... But I removed all of the trim, weather stripping, door handles, bumper covers, painted the door jambs, under the hood/trunk, built a stand for the bumper covers, ect. Plus all the cleaning of everything, it was a pretty big project. Started in late November and just finished, but I didn't work on it all the time and the weather slowed me up a good bit since I was all outside. Only a few antenna holes and few very small dents so not a lot of body work. The good thing about the shitty white paint was that it came off way quicker than I thought. That only took two days and I went through about 4-5 80grit 3M discs.

Primer, base, clear and all the activators/reducers was right at $1k and that is all middle of the road stuff. I probably have another $4-500 wrapped up in sanding/masking materials and I still have a lot left. One thing I found out is that 3M may cost more, but there is a reason. ALL of the 3M stuff that I used worked awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X