Choosing Tire Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Tire Diameter

If your car hooks good and is not running out of gear at the end of the track... is there any reason to go to a larger diameter rear tire?

I currently run a 26x8/15 Hoosier Slick and have pretty consistent 1.75-1.80 60 fts and cross the finish line at 6400-6500 rpm ( I shift at 7k so there is still some left)

I am looking at running MT ET streets so that I do not have to switch tires every time I want to drive on the street or go racing.

I can't decide between these two:

235/60/15- 8.4 tread x 26.1 dia
    255/60/15- 9.0 tread and 27.1 dia

Car is a stick shift (4 speed w/2.78 1st gr), N/A 289, and 4.30 rear gear.

Best to date is:
    1.75 60

The car dead hooks a lot and runs its best when I get one or two rotations of tire spin ( helps keep the rpm up).
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Go with the 26x11.5x15 ET street. See below.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...?item=ETStreet
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moose Jr. View Post

x2

That's what I run.

Comment

The ET street will probably work better than the Hoosier tire you have. The ET street has a stiffer sidewall and will help you build more wheel speed. Which, of course, you know is very important on a stick car. The one time I ran Hoosiers I had nothing but problems. It would either spin too much or dead hook. When it did dead hook, I broke the transmission.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moose Jr. View Post

I do not think i can fit an 11.5 wide tire on a 65 with stock style leaf springs.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I was looking at the et street radial.... is the ET street ( non-radial) a better choice for street and strip?
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
              I was looking at the et street radial.... is the ET street ( non-radial) a better choice for street and strip?
              The ET street(basically a slick with grooves) will be better for a stick car at the track. Especially if you launch the car hard. However, it sux for street use. If you are dead set on the M/T drag radial, 275/50/15 would be your best choice. You won't be able to do any 6500 clutch dumps like you could do with the e/t street or a slick. You'll just blow the tires off.
              sigpic

Comment

no matter which tire you choose, if you drive it on the street, don't expect it to last as long and hook as well on the track.
                I had ET Streets on the car for the reasons you specified. I noticed when I stopped driving the car on the street and to the track and was trailering it, the tires hooked a lot better and for a lot longer. The constant heat cycling and driving on them wears them out quickly. Just something to keep in mind.
                Carl S.
                2014 Ruby Red Premium GT A6, stock for now
                80 Coupe, Stroked 9.2" Windsor, Yates C3, Dominator, glide, 9.60s n/a, 1.27 sixty 5.48@127.8 nitrous on radials.
                9.32@128 pedaling it half track
                sigpic

Comment

I've seen your car run a few times, and unless it's changed, it could seriously benifit from some taller gears or shorter tires.

Comment

Working...
                  X