No announcement yet.

safety safety safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear the driver is ok. One reason why i have alot of cage in my slow car lol

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      Due to design I'm thinking a run flat wouldn't be a good choice at those speeds.
      Any reasoning behind this? Michelin makes a Zero Pressure Pilot Sport 2, Id think that would be a better tire than what is, or what was on the front of that Camaro...

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        Due to design I'm thinking a run flat wouldn't be a good choice at those speeds.
        i dont think a run flat is rated to that mph, but it will RUN FLAT. wont it wont do is run shredded, which that mph will di every time
        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

you need to get on some ECTA boards. the texas mile is probably not the place to start OR get your feet wet. run the Ohio mile as they have much stricter classes/regulations. theres also a houston 1/2 mile that is a much safer event. the beessville race is another texas "go big or go home" type event, where street cars care gonna be constantly wadded up year after year.
          Originally posted by jayjohnson600 View Post
          This is why I snatched up a NASCAR truck platform to start a 200+mph project.

The cage is right, the chassis is right, and it can drop to the ground.

The video shows a whole lot of daylight under the car. Was it that high on the crash run?
          Not a good thing when making numbers like that.

There is very little info online for high mph vehicles. I think it's a shame and dangerous
          not having enough info online. Compared to the drag racing info and tech, there's almost
          nothing posted on the web for info and tech concerning high mph vehicles.
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Few weekend race events have grown quite as quickly as the Texas Mile, a twice-a-year run down a 1.5-mile airstrip in Beeville, Texas, that lets tuners push their creations to 200 mph and beyond. One of the stars of the past couple of years has been a fourth-generation Chevy Camaro, tuned by a Houston shop [...]
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

photobucket with more pics

scroll left
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
                Sorta dumb question, since blowing out a tire in the front is much worse than the rear at speed... would a Runflat tire be a good choice for something like this?
                I don't know that answer but I can argue on both sides of the table. Runflats typically have a much heavier construction which makes the sidewalls and carcass much stiffer so you might think that would be better in a sustained high rpm load. However, that stiffer carcass is heavier and might not be so resistant to flex at high rpm/centrifugal forces....thereby causing the tires to come apart.

In all honesty there are very few tires designed to even go over 200 mph. They are all drag tires and I am pretty sure the pro-teams that run them put very few passes on them. Most of these goobers at these events are merely crossing their fingers hoping that a road race tire that is designed to run below 200mph will survive to 260+. There is no engineering behind it...just plain hope for luck.

one thing I bet they didn't account for is the tire growth factor which raised the front of the car and then it became an airplane! Splitter was 3" to 4" off the ground which is another major factor....but again, I'm being critical....but they seemed to concentrate on the wrong things to go those speeds but did spend money on a well built cage. They just needed to do more research on aerodynamics!
                Last edited by aggie97; 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

they said hoosier R6's are the only tires allowed for those speeds at the mile.
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                    I don't know that answer but I can argue on both sides of the table. Runflats typically have a much heavier construction which makes the sidewalls and carcass much stiffer so you might think that would be better in a sustained high rpm load. However, that stiffer carcass is heavier and might not be so resistant to flex at high rpm/centrifugal forces....thereby causing the tires to come apart.

In all honesty there are very few tires designed to even go over 200 mph. They are all drag tires and I am pretty sure the pro-teams that run them put very few passes on them. Most of these goobers at these events are merely crossing their fingers hoping that a road race tire that is designed to run below 200mph will survive to 260+. There is no engineering behind it...just plain hope for luck.

one thing I bet they didn't account for is the tire growth factor which raised the front of the car and then it became an airplane! Splitter was 3" to 4" off the ground which is another major factor....but again, I'm being critical....but they seemed to concentrate on the wrong things to go those speeds but did spend money on a well built cage. They just needed to do more research on aerodynamics!
                    I did notice a lack of padding on the cage, especially as close as it is to he driver's head.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                      they said hoosier R6's are the only tires allowed for those speeds at the mile.
                      LOL. That ain't no R6 on the front is it?! Somebody got sneaky.

Good catch DJ.

Comment

I can hear the argument...tire speed ratings are for 1 hour at said speed. I'm only going to double that for 10 seconds or so, so I should be ok. (Think redneck)

I wonder if the splitter was that high so is didn't catch that "hump" near the 1 mile mark...? Weak.
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                          The cage definitely did it's job, good to hear the driver is ok.

I can't believe more people haven't commented on the broken bar. Take note, its broken below the weld. It's impossible to build a setup that will take a hit from any angle at those speeds and guarantee it's integrity.
                          even though I agree it is tough to protect a car for every stress I would like to point out that it did indeed break in the weld. it is very clear that three bars intersected to be welded to the forth. these bars are behind the driver and the funny car cage did its job. I would like to point out how the integrity of the floor structure was compromised. At speeds like those guys are running the wrecks can be horrific and I feel that the SFI foundation needs to address it more.

it is a shame that it takes something like this wreck for people to think about safety in a more real fashion. I think of this walking around the pits at the local dragstrips and not only see things that are unsafe but not even legal.
                          903-870-8109

Thank you:
                          2JM Diesel & Fabrication - for the chassis and tuning
                          Freak Show Performance - for the great transmission
                          Jimmy Patton for the pit help
                          Chris Fowler for the motor work
                          TRZ Motorsports - thanks Mike
                          NRC Motorsports - thanks Bob
                          Team Z Motorsports - thanks Dave
                          Forced Inductions - thanks Jose
                          Work Turbochargers - thanks Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            I did notice a lack of padding on the cage, especially as close as it is to he driver's head.
                            looking at the seat, it is the cheapest Kirkey you can buy. I guess they were hoping the cage would keep his head in place ie no Halo seat. LOL!

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                                Anybody racing in any event should look thru things like this while they are trying to "cheap out" on a cage. It's your life, how much is it worth?
                                Hell, even I am considering fire supression in the cobra and I will never hit half those speeds or try the mile..........maybe.
                                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                                X