No announcement yet.

safety safety safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cage definitely did it's job, good to hear the driver is ok.

I can't believe more people haven't commented on the broken bar. Take note, its broken below the weld. It's impossible to build a setup that will take a hit from any angle at those speeds and guarantee it's integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
      The cage definitely did it's job, good to hear the driver is ok.

I can't believe more people haven't commented on the broken bar. Take note, its broken below the weld. It's impossible to build a setup that will take a hit from any angle at those speeds and guarantee it's integrity.
      First thing I noticed. That dude is very lucky. One more hit in those compromised areas and it could have gotten to the warm squishy bit.

This was the same car that got sideways a couple years ago at 200+. Might be time to throw all that horsepower in a chassis where it will work better.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
        First thing I noticed. That dude is very lucky. One more hit in those compromised areas and it could have gotten to the warm squishy bit.

This was the same car that got sideways a couple years ago at 200+. Might be time to throw all that horsepower in a chassis where it will work better.
        actually, looking back at the photos, I think the left front tire exploded and left the car. The remaining right front tire looks like a street tire that probably might be rated to 186mph. How he got that past tech is amazing if he was looking for 260mph plus. I have been told even the race hoosiers are only good for 6 or 8 runs at those speeds. There is a reason why the tires on a Veyron are so expensive and they only last 12 minutes or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
          The cage definitely did it's job.
          Take note, its broken below the weld. It's impossible to build a setup that will take a hit from any angle at those speeds and guarantee it's integrity.
          agree
          Originally posted by BoostedGT
          I got one of them POS x275 88mm's sitting on the work bench. Come get it.
          Originally posted by bigminz
          Hell no. Have you seen most of these cars up close? Death traps at those speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
            actually, looking back at the photos, I think the left front tire exploded and left the car. The remaining right front tire looks like a street tire that probably might be rated to 186mph. How he got that past tech is amazing if he was looking for 260mph plus. I have been told even the race hoosiers are only good for 6 or 8 runs at those speeds. There is a reason why the tires on a Veyron are so expensive and they only last 12 minutes or something like that.
            They said it looked like he ran the splitter off. Someone on Tech has called that before it ran.

And Scott, I noticed the bar and that's all I could look at. Things that really make you go...is it really worth it? lol

Comment

Originally posted by BadCompanyVPWS6 View Post
              They said it looked like he ran the splitter off. Someone on Tech has called that before it ran.

And Scott, I noticed the bar and that's all I could look at. Things that really make you go...is it really worth it? lol
              define ran the splitter off?

Comment

so the splitter ripped off cause it couldn't handle the speed, then the car went airborne because of the airflow under the car??
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                  define ran the splitter off?
                  sorry, ran it over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                    so the splitter ripped off cause it couldn't handle the speed, then the car went airborne because of the airflow under the car??
                    If you have seen the pics of the car before at WOT down the stretch, that thing was sitting pretty damn high. All it takes is a little bit to catch some air at those speeds and all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by BadCompanyVPWS6 View Post
                      sorry, ran it over.
                      Ok, that is possible, but honestly, that isn't much of a splitter and may be why it came off.

I watched the video of the car from the last event and those look like the same front tires. Sticking with my theory of poor tire choice.

Hoosier also had a bad batch of those tires on the rear a few years back and would lose cords/belts. I had one happen a few weeks ago but at like 100mph and was lucky it stayed together. Putting that much power through any tire is going to rip stuff up.

I'm Monday morning quarterbacking over here but glad the guy is alive!

Comment

Looks like a Hoosier radial tire In the front with the raised white lettering in another video.
                        Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

Sorta dumb question, since blowing out a tire in the front is much worse than the rear at speed... would a Runflat tire be a good choice for something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
                            Sorta dumb question, since blowing out a tire in the front is much worse than the rear at speed... would a Runflat tire be a good choice for something like this?
                            Due to design I'm thinking a run flat wouldn't be a good choice at those speeds.
                            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                            dont downshift!!
                            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

This is why I snatched up a NASCAR truck platform to start a 200+mph project.

The cage is right, the chassis is right, and it can drop to the ground.

The video shows a whole lot of daylight under the car. Was it that high on the crash run?
                              Not a good thing when making numbers like that.

There is very little info online for high mph vehicles. I think it's a shame and dangerous
                              not having enough info online. Compared to the drag racing info and tech, there's almost
                              nothing posted on the web for info and tech concerning high mph vehicles.
                              Last edited by jayjohnson600; 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM.
                              Jay Johnson
                              Car hauler for hire

Comment

It will buff..... Fuck it that thing is fucked

Comment

Working...
                                X