Zfan's fuel tank sump install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zfan's fuel tank sump install.

A few of you guys were asking for pictures of the sump install, here ya go.

FWIW, I don't particularly care for this style of sump for a multitude of reasons - The sump was not symetrical, there were not two sides of the thing that were the same..

For whatever reason, when they put it together, they used silicone bronze - a major PITA to weld anywere near it. (it melts much lower than steel and will flow into your steel puddle)

This pic, show what usually has to be done to most sumps to make them fit "properly". Note: pie shaped sharpie marks - the show what's going to be cut out.

This one shows the holes for the fuel to flow through. Note: the back part of the sump has NO holes - this keeps the fuel near the pickup point.

Last but not least, the final welded piece. If you look close - you can see the flange on the front edge of the sump doesn't match the sides. It's really not a big deal, but when your OCD about straight edges etc.. it will drive you nuts! Besides, you really can't see it under the car anyways.

Nice work Brooks!

Comment

Why did they use the bronze?

Comment

That's all they had over there in China

Comment

Pffft car pics please.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            Nice work Brooks!
            Thanks Lason!

Originally posted by Blue88Coupe View Post
            Why did they use the bronze?
            Not exactly sure - but I'll take a guess at it. It's super easy to TIG/Braze something together with that stuff and it flows super easy. It also bridges gaps pretty good. So, it solves all the shitty production fitment problems.

Originally posted by Zfan View Post
            That's all they had over there in China
            LOL, possibly so!

Comment

I can see why you like the CE sump better. I'll be sure and get that one when you do mine. Brooks, what condition do you like to get the tank in? Drained of all fuel, but what about fumes, etc.?
              Last edited by Doug Hatton; 11-30-2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Like I had Mike do - go to Autozone and get a gallon jub of "purple power". Put about a quart or so in the tank (empty of fuel of course) and about a gallon of water - swish it till you turn blue, then swish it some more. Repeat at least one more time. This will cut/remove the fumes. This is the only way that I KNOW works...

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post

Not exactly sure - but I'll take a guess at it. It's super easy to TIG/Braze something together with that stuff and it flows super easy. It also bridges gaps pretty good. So, it solves all the shitty production fitment problems.

save this term for when you tig my cold side tubing together I got gaps like a stip club dressing room. lol J/K, I hope they are not that bad.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    save this term for when you tig my cold side tubing together I got gaps like a stip club dressing room. lol J/K, I hope they are not that bad.
                    What are you using to cut and fit your cold side? Are you just running a grinder on the edges of the aluminum to get them close?

Comment

Looks good, I bet you could've made a nicer sump out of all the scrap you have laying around the garage, though. LOL

Comment

super nice , I'll bring over the wagons tank next year.
                        2009 Mustang GT
                        1972 Country Squire

Comment

Working...
                        X