Thoughts on 331 Stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on 331 Stroker

Interested in hearing from those of you who have a 331 stroker. I am planning a budget for upgrades to my 92 coupe. It is and will be a daily driver. I plan on having the tired motor replaced and I'm considering doing a 331.

I am interested in hearing about the street manners of the 331 and gas mileage. I'm not a heavy foot driver (I'm 53). I realize with more displacement, fuel efficiency may decline depending on the tune.

I also plan to do rear disc breaks and five lug conversion and possibly a tubular k memeber, and some interior work. Almost forgot, going to get me some Pro Stars too. I've always wanted them on my car.

I've not been doing much with my cars (92 coupe and 93 cobra) but that is about to change. Planning on spending some coin on both in the next six months.

I couldn't tell you much about the 331 (except that you should do a 347 instead) but, if you want, I could tell you all about the brakes...

Comment

Thanks Tengram. I am familiar with the brakes. Of course, I'm not a wrench head so I am going to have Greenbullet do the work most likley.

Comment

I'm building one right now. I chose a 331 because I heard 347's will use oil sometimes. The pin cuts into the oil ring groove.

Comment

Originally posted by skinnystangman View Post
          I'm building one right now. I chose a 331 because I heard 347's will use oil sometimes. The pin cuts into the oil ring groove.
          Same thing I read about too. We are talking about a difference of 16 ci difference. Did you buy a kit and use a block from your car?

Comment

My 331 powered coupe with 3.73 gears and a tremec got 30 miles to the gallon consistently from Cooper and I-20 to my gas stop in Shreveport 210 miles later. Always took 7 gallons.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I think the 331 would be a longer lasting engine for a daily due to the better rod ratio if I am not mistaken. With today's pistons the oil control issue with the 347 at the oil ring is a mute point.

Comment

Why not just get a 351w and go with that?
                Also I'm not getting the using oil deal, even if the pin get into the ring lands.
                I had a small block chevy with a 1.000 piston hight and never had a problem with using oil. I always used JE pistons with oil ring spacers without no issues, I don't see why a sbf would be any different.

Comment

Originally posted by mustvid View Post
                  Same thing I read about too. We are talking about a difference of 16 ci difference. Did you buy a kit and use a block from your car?
                  The difference in power between a 331 and 347 is not the extra cubes, it's the extra stroke. The 331 has a 3.250 stroke, whereas the 347 has a 3.400 stroke.

Either one will work great for what you're wanting.

-Aaron

Comment

It's either a 331 or 306. I woud like the additional torque of the 331 but with gas prices rising with no end in sight, I am concerned about fuel efficiency. That is why a 351 is not being considered plus the weight.

Comment

It's either a 331 or 306. I woud like the additional torque of the 331 but with gas prices rising with no end in sight, I am concerned about fuel efficiency. That is why a 351 is not being considered plus the weight.
                      Is this your DD?
                      If so and and your main focus is on gas milage I would just rebuild the stock motor and keep on trucking.

I'm no Ford expert by any means but exactly how much of a weight difference could there be between and 302 and 351? What's the mian difference just a few thousands on the deck hight right?

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post
                        Is this your DD?
                        If so and and your main focus is on gas milage I would just rebuild the stock motor and keep on trucking.

I'm no Ford expert by any means but exactly how much of a weight difference could there be between and 302 and 351? What's the mian difference just a few thousands on the deck hight right?
                        I may do that too. I'm considering all options. I can drive the Cobra which is stock too.

Comment

why the 331? are you wanting to go faster? how much? or is it just for stroker bragging rights, having owned a 408w i now realise the virtues of a 306 motor.

Comment

Is this your DD?

There is about 1 inch differance in deck height . The block is thicker and the crank is larger . I think a 351 with alum heads weighs about the same as a 302 with irons . I don't mind the extra weight because of the extra strength . If you truley are not worried about going fast just rebuild the 302 and bump the compression with some new pistons .
                            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Interested in hearing from those of you who have a 331 stroker. I am planning a budget for upgrades to my 92 coupe. It is and will be a daily driver. I plan on having the tired motor replaced and I'm considering doing a 331.

I am interested in hearing about the street manners of the 331 and gas mileage. I'm not a heavy foot driver (I'm 53). I realize with more displacement, fuel efficiency may decline depending on the tune.

I also plan to do rear disc breaks and five lug conversion and possibly a tubular k memeber, and some interior work. Almost forgot, going to get me some Pro Stars too. I've always wanted them on my car.

I've not been doing much with my cars (92 coupe and 93 cobra) but that is about to change. Planning on spending some coin on both in the next six months.

Is this your DD?

Comment

Working...
                              X