Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing mile Horsepower to weight = speed formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
    There is a big difference between some peak hp value measured on a dyno versus the RPM you'll actually be able to pull under a load.

So if you make 300hp at 6000rpm but can't get it to pull more than 4000rpm in top gear and pushing 25sqft through the air, then your predictions are going to be a little low

I suspect you will need an honest 325-350rwhp to hit 150mph inside of a mile.
    FWIW, my 92GT would hit the rev limiter in 5th (calculated to be 151mph) right at the mile mark. It might have had 230hp to the wheels, but it had 3.73 gears.

However, that auto transmission and hefty weight will be holding him back horribly.

Eric, I would at least get a transmission cooler to keep it alive as long as possible.

Comment

That calculator is nowhere near correct based on real-world #s I've seen.
      Based on my '01 Vette, I have seen similar cars do in the 190-200 mph range in the mile:
      Coefficient of Drag (Cd): .29
      Frontal area (sq. ft.): 23 (internet searches yield varying results from 22.6 to 23.8)
      Vehicle and Rider Weight (lbs): 3550
      Speed (mph): 243.8
      Horsepower Needed: 830.6
      Horsepower Lost to Drag: 644.4
      Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
      Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
      X