Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standing mile Horsepower to weight = speed formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing mile Horsepower to weight = speed formula?

Anyone have anything that can reasonably calculate this? I've been through a ton of searches on the land speed sites and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Rip out all of your interior and BINGO !
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

Speedlogix Catch Can
      Resonator Delete

Comment

All of the forumlas are for the 1/4 mile that I can see. I'm math retarded.

Comment

Standing mile = drag racing?

I'm asking because weight is not a major factor in top speed. Most LSR cars are surpisingly heavy. That makes sense though, as they are looking for stability at all costs and have six miles to accelerate.

Read this article and there is a calculator at the bottom.

Bonneville, Harley-Davidson, Turbo, Hayabusa, ZX-12, Suzuki, Kawasaki, streamliner, RB Racing, ORCA, frontal area, Cd, coefficient of drag

Coefficient of Drag (Cd): .38
          Frontal area (sq. ft.): 40
          Vehicle and Rider Weight (lbs): 3600
          Speed (mph): 150
          Horsepower Needed: 325.1764
          Horsepower Lost to Drag: 256.5
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            Standing mile = drag racing?

I'm asking because weight is not a major factor in top speed. Most LSR cars are surpisingly heavy. That makes sense though, as they are looking for stability at all costs and have six miles to accelerate.

Read this article and there is a calculator at the bottom.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpcalc.html

I'm trying to get an estimate of what speed my car will be at under full throttle at the mile marker from a standing start. I want to aim for around 135 for the flats, and need some sort of baseline estimate. Going to check out the link.

Comment

Great link above 46Tbird. From what I could find online, the drag coefficient is .36 and frontal area is 22.5 for your car eric. I have no idea what you car weighs but some where around 3400 would be my guess, which works out to be 194 hp required to get to 140mph.
              Speedlogix Catch Can
              Resonator Delete

Comment

22.5??

Comment

22.5??
                  according to google, seemed a bit much to me as well
                  Speedlogix Catch Can
                  Resonator Delete

Comment

Originally posted by STRONGNUFF View Post
                    Great link above 46Tbird. From what I could find online, the drag coefficient is .36 and frontal area is 22.5 for your car eric. I have no idea what you car weighs but some where around 3400 would be my guess, which works out to be 194 hp required to get to 140mph.

I found 21.24. I guess 3700 pounds with me in it being a vert. What do you think Danny? The top speed of a 99-04 GT is rated at 139, and the car would probably put down about 230 to the wheels in stock trim, which it might as well be. If this is accurate, I can concentrate on suspension upgrades and maybe a couple of minor bolt ons like a short belt and what not.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking it was low. When you factor in wide tires, mirrors, etc. it all adds up.

But when I think about it, I guess that sounds about right actually.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking it was low. When you factor in wide tires, mirrors, etc. it all adds up.

But when I think about it, I guess that sounds about right actually.

I'm going to take the wipers and arms off. I'll also take a roll of duct tape in case I need to seal up some of the front and streamline it.

Comment

Looking at those calculations I would only need about 10-15 horsepower more to go after the 150 club. That can't be right. On Top Gear Hammond had a 425 hp Challenger and only achieved 150.02 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Looking at those calculations I would only need about 10-15 horsepower more to go after the 150 club. That can't be right. On Top Gear Hammond had a 425 hp Challenger and only achieved 150.02 mph.
                            Yeah, but those are heavy as fuck.
                            Speedlogix Catch Can
                            Resonator Delete

Comment

There is a big difference between some peak hp value measured on a dyno versus the RPM you'll actually be able to pull under a load.

So if you make 300hp at 6000rpm but can't get it to pull more than 4000rpm in top gear and pushing 25sqft through the air, then your predictions are going to be a little low

I suspect you will need an honest 325-350rwhp to hit 150mph inside of a mile.

Comment

Working...
                              X