Killing the engine at 100mph, neutral or drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing the engine at 100mph, neutral or drive

If I kill the engine to check the plugs after a nitrous run, should I coast to a stop in neutral or should I leave it in drive? This is an E4OD transmission.

Reverse works best.

Comment

Why would you kill the engine @ 100mph in drive?

Comment

Once you kill the engine you have zero pump pressure so the transmission effectively will be in neutral no mater where the gear selector is. That said I would say put it in neutral the kill the engine just in case you need to restart it for some reason (like power brakes, or power steering). Also remember that the gears in an auto tranny are lubed from pump pressure so killing the engine at 100mph is really not a wise choice it can be done but don't make it a habit.

Comment

fire that bitch back up and hit the switch again
          don't be a puss

Comment

Originally posted by Woods Racing Transmission View Post
            Once you kill the engine you have zero pump pressure so the transmission effectively will be in neutral no mater where the gear selector is. That said I would say put it in neutral the kill the engine just in case you need to restart it for some reason (like power brakes, or power steering). Also remember that the gears in an auto tranny are lubed from pump pressure so killing the engine at 100mph is really not a wise choice it can be done but don't make it a habit.
            I just need to do it one or 2 more times. I'm fine tweaking a new nitrous tune and I need to shut it off as soon as I lift in order to get an accurate plug reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Why would you kill the engine @ 100mph in drive?
              So the plugs do not get contaminated and give me any false readings about the fuel mixture.

Comment

With a reverse valve body you have to kill it in high gear and I never had a problem.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

What type of gas are you using?

It would prob be in your best interest just to buy a wideband and throw it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Diabolic View Post
                    I just need to do it one or 2 more times. I'm fine tweaking a new nitrous tune and I need to shut it off as soon as I lift in order to get an accurate plug reading.
                    why not just do it on a load dyno? i have a neighbor with a shop and a MD250 dyno. just pay him for an hour and do it all right there with a/f reading.
                    95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

I prefer real world testing at the track or on the street. I have full datalogging that includes a wideband. I keep detailed records of everything. I'm in the process of installing a new digital wideband but ran out of solder so I called it a night. Going to try it all out this Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                      X