Leaking -12 90* Fitting - Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking -12 90* Fitting - Any tips?

Finally got enough free time between all the other things going on to put fuel in my car and whooops, forgot to put a 1/8th in plug in my Y block (yep, that sucks), once I got that cleaned up I noticed a steady drip from my fuel cell.

The -12 90* fitting that connects to the bulkhead on my fuel cell is leaking. I tried removing it, checking/cleaning it, and reinstalling and it still ever so slowly is leaking. Just enough to have a wet spot on your finger after a few minutes when you touch it.

Since this is a pricey fitting I am trying to decide if there is any thing I could be missing. From what I can tell the torque spec for a -12 is about 40ft/lb, but since I can't get a torque wrench on it that doesn't really do me much good. As bad as it sounds I am having to use two large cresent wrenches wrapped in electrical tape since I don't have a AN wrench large enough.

Do the -12 fittings require a ton of torque or is it more likely that I just have a bum fitting and should buy a new one?

Thanks!

bum fitting try a new one, or maybe the angle of the hose is making the fitting move

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Is it leaking from the hose itself or the fittings mating surfaces?

I'm guessing the mating surfaces- I'd take the hose loose and see if the male fitting has a uniform mark around the chamfered edge. IF it does, then look to the hose fitting and see if it has a uniform ring down inside where the male fitting seals.

Most likely you have some trash between them or a high spot on one of them. If it appears the male fitting is the culprit, you can easily spin it in a lathe and straighten it up.

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
        Is it leaking from the hose itself or the fittings mating surfaces?

I'm guessing the mating surfaces- I'd take the hose loose and see if the male fitting has a uniform mark around the chamfered edge. IF it does, then look to the hose fitting and see if it has a uniform ring down inside where the male fitting seals.

Most likely you have some trash between them or a high spot on one of them. If it appears the male fitting is the culprit, you can easily spin it in a lathe and straighten it up.
        Last night I didn't see any marks on the chamfered edges (neither on the male nor female side)

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
          Last night I didn't see any marks on the chamfered edges (neither on the male nor female side)
          That may be the whole problem, the two fittings may not be bottoming on each other like they should - check the threads.

Comment

Eh, Summit said they'd replace both sides and cover the ride so I'm just going to replace the whole setup.

Comment

I have notice about the summit brand fittings. They are cheaper, but alot of them will leak.
              JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Working...
              X