Trading in a Vehicle question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading in a Vehicle question....

I've always wondered this, but have no first hand experience with it. I've always added aftermarket wheels, stereos, etc to my vehicles. When trading them in on a new car, are you better off to remove all of the stuff you added? I know that things like a sub-box/amps should be, but what about in-dash DVD players, GPS aux box tied to in dash DVD, 22" chrome wheels? Would I be better off removing these items and selling them seperate? Do you get better money WITHOUT these items or would I get a little more with them? I've heard that Carmax will actually DEDUCT for aftermarket wheels. Is this true throughout the industry?

Definitely taking everything off you can, just recently when trading in my 04 Gt I had to take out my vortech, accufab tb & plenum, amp, etc. Just recently found my stock rotors from it wish I would have switch those as well beforehand. I was not getting any more value on my trade with any of those things.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
      I've always wondered this, but have no first hand experience with it. I've always added aftermarket wheels, stereos, etc to my vehicles. When trading them in on a new car, are you better off to remove all of the stuff you added? I know that things like a sub-box/amps should be, but what about in-dash DVD players, GPS aux box tied to in dash DVD, 22" chrome wheels? Would I be better off removing these items and selling them seperate? Do you get better money WITHOUT these items or would I get a little more with them? I've heard that Carmax will actually DEDUCT for aftermarket wheels. Is this true throughout the industry?
      ALWAYS keep as much of the aftermarket stuff as possible. Dealers won't give you dick for money for anything you've added on.

My friend just traded in his 2000 GT, had BBK longtubes and 18" FMS Y2K Cobra wheels on it and they gave him $750 for trade value!!
      --Marcus

Comment

Dealers will not give you extra for aftermarket items. Sometimes they even give you less because it makes the reselling process for them harder. Every case is different and it also matters how hard you deal.
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mystic96 View Post
          ALWAYS keep as much of the aftermarket stuff as possible. Dealers won't give you dick for money for anything you've added on.

My friend just traded in his 2000 GT, had BBK longtubes and 18" FMS Y2K Cobra wheels on it and they gave him $750 for trade value!!
          WTF? Why did he trade it in? I would have given him $800.

We traded in my wife's 2001 GT (106k miles) and got $7000 for it. We traded it in on a 2009 Mustang GT/CS in perfect condition with 40k miles on it. The 09 was priced at 21k before the trade in.

We took everything back to stock that we could on her car. What was left was the FR500 wheels with 315's out back, 4:10 gears, lowering springs, tint, and sony xplod radio. I just didn't have the old stuff to put back on it for these.
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I kept my stock wheels, tires, radio, etc. so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. This just confirms what I was thinking....

Comment

Deff get your stuff off the ride, you can make more money from selling it on CL..
              Big Rooster Racing
              85' Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X