Most power per dollar LS engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel6718 View Post
    why carb it? it would be cheaper to run the FI.

IMO
    dollar for dollar the 5.3 is hard to beat, potential wise the 5.7/6.0 is hard to beat. I prefer an aluminum because a 5.3/6.0 is about 90 pounds heavier. Your right on for a 6.0 as for power, heres some others
    a 5.3 in stock form should make near 250 at the wheels, a 6.0 300
    a cammed 5.3 made 340
    cammed 6.0 near 400
    (both with supporting mods)
    a cam will need springs at minimum, pushrods and t/c are a must if i do them.
    If i can be any help feel free to pm me
    I would be interested in running the stock stuff. Where would you go about getting everything you need to run the factory injection and ignition as a stand alone setup and how much would it cost?

I agree on the pushrods and springs being necessary. T/C? Torque converter?

Comment

Check out the parts section

Comment

My roommates pretty familiar with the LS series engines and all he talks about doing is finding a 6.0 aluminum block (apparently some of the trucks had them as well) and putting some LS3 heads on it, and a cam. Should make well over 400rwhp. He's practically a jew, too, so it would probably be fairly cost efficient.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Jimbo, how much power are you wanting to make?

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
            My roommates pretty familiar with the LS series engines and all he talks about doing is finding a 6.0 aluminum block (apparently some of the trucks had them as well) and putting some LS3 heads on it, and a cam. Should make well over 400rwhp. He's practically a jew, too, so it would probably be fairly cost efficient.
            All the truck 6.0's were cast iron blocks with aluminum heads. LS3's are aluminum 6.0's but arent near as cheap as truck motors.

Aluminum blocks are nice till you hurt a cylinder wall and figure out you either have to ditch the whole block and get a new one or pay big money for aftermaket liners.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              All the truck 6.0's were cast iron blocks with aluminum heads. LS3's are aluminum 6.0's but arent near as cheap as truck motors.

Aluminum blocks are nice till you hurt a cylinder wall and figure out you either have to ditch the whole block and get a new one or pay big money for aftermaket liners.
              L76, if I remember correctly, is the aluminum truck block. Hard to come by, but they are out there.

edit: I found this,
              L76
              See also the automotive L76
              The Vortec 6000 L76 or new VortecMax is a Generation IV aluminum small block V8 truck engine and features variable cam phasing, along with Active Fuel Management. It can be considered the replacement for the Generation III LQ9 engine. It produces 367 hp (274 kW) at 5400 rpm and 375 ft·lbf (508 N·m) at 4400 rpm. Production started in late 2006, and is only available with the new body style Silverado and Sierra VortecMax.

L76 applications:

2007–2009 Chevrolet Suburban
              2007–2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
              2007–2009 Chevrolet Silverado
              2007–2009 GMC Sierra
              2007–2009 GMC Yukon XL
              Last edited by Jimbo; 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Thumper View Post
                Jimbo, how much power are you wanting to make?
                Lets say a daily drivable 400fwhp.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdave_r6 View Post
                  Check out the parts section
                  I saw a 5.3 that needs a rebuild in there, is there something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                    L76, if I remember correctly, is the aluminum truck block. Hard to come by, but they are out there.

edit: I found this,

I dont believe thats right, I think the L92 is the engine in the new trucks but either way it is an all aluminum motor. I stand corrected on that. There are so many variations its downright confusing.

Per wiki so take it with a grain of salt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

L76

See also the Vortec 6000 L76
                    L76 was originally Holden's version of the 5,967 cc (5.967 L; 364.1 cu in) Generation IV engine. While displacement on demand technology was disabled on Holdens, this feature is enabled on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and subsequently refitted in the 2009 model Holdens with AFM enabled, but only on models fitted with the 6L80 Automatic Transmission. The engine also meets Euro III emissions requirements. Output is 348 bhp (260 kW)@5600rpm and 376 lb·ft (510 N·m)@4400rpm for the Holden variant, and 361 bhp (269 kW) and 385 lb·ft (522 N·m) for the G8 GT.[5]

Applications:

2006 Holden
                    2006 Holden WL Statesman/Caprice - Those built from February 2006 until September 2006 until the release of the WM series.
                    2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
                    2009 Holden VE Commodore
                    2009 Holden WM Statesman/Caprice
                    2009 Holden VE Ute

L92

The 2007 Cadillac Escalade has a 6.2 L Vortec 6200 (RPO L92) (≈376 cu in) engine. It is an all-aluminium design which, while still a pushrod engine, boasts variable valve timing, a first in a mass-produced non-overhead cam V8 engine. The system adjusts both intake and exhaust timing between two settings. This engine produces 402 hp (301 kW) and 417 ft•lb (565 N•m) in the GMC Yukon Denali/XL Denali, Sierra SLT, and in the GMC Sierra Denali, and rated at 403 hp (301 kW) and 415 ft·lbf (563 N·m) (441 hp with 93 octane[clarification needed] export version) in the Hummer and in the Cadillac Escalade. It is also available in the Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ, with power ratings of 395 hp (295 kW) and 417 ft·lbf (565 N·m).

Applications:

2007+ Cadillac Escalade
                    2007+ GMC Yukon Denali/Denali XL
                    2007+ GMC Sierra Denali
                    2008+ Hummer H2
                    2009+ Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
                      Thats basically the same setup as in post #3. Except aluminum block. Wich would be nice in the weight savings area.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                        I dont believe thats right, I think the L92 is the engine in the new trucks but either way it is an all aluminum motor. I stand corrected on that. There are so many variations its downright confusing.

Per wiki so take it with a grain of salt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
                        Yeah I had just read that when I looked it up and thought the same thing. The variation are what I am LOVING about these engines. Its better than when you could go to the junkyard and choose from double hump heads, 375horse heads, sbc 327's, 350's, 400's, etc etc.

Comment

t/c timing chain.
                          You buy a used motor from junkyard it should come with factory fuel injection stuff, questions is will it fit or do you need car intake?
                          Texas Fastest Streetcar Shootout
                          2008 Spring : 13.00 index Champion
                          2008 Summer : Fastest Street Car Runner Up : 13.00 index Champion
                          2008 Summer KODFWS : Runner Up

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                            Lets say a daily drivable 400fwhp.
                            I'd say get a 5.7 or 6.0 motor, put a small cam with exhaust and it will make that easily.

These motors are idiot proof....any fool can make power with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel6718 View Post
                              t/c timing chain.
                              You buy a used motor from junkyard it should come with factory fuel injection stuff, questions is will it fit or do you need car intake?
                              I would need the car intake. What I am curious is, if I made the effort source out all the necessary injection and harness and ignition stuff, and what ever I would need to make it run as a stand alone setup, and the necessary parts/software to tune it, what would it cost me in $$ and effort spent running around, ordering separate things, etc. vs just carbureting it?

Comment

jimbo just call me bro..i gotcha..

Comment

Working...
                                X