f150 4.6 relaibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f150 4.6 relaibility

im looking at 05 4x4 f150 with a 4.6. has around 115k miles. are these powerplants/trans combos pretty reliable?

either this or a 2000 z71 with a 5.3 at 140k miles. both decent trucks

given those options, i'd take the 5.3 all day. The 4.6 F150s are pretty lethargic from what i understand.

Comment

just need reliable. the ford is 5 years newer less miles and a little nicer for 750 more.

the chevy is a LT package though with nice features

Comment

I had an 06 with the 5.4 and loved it until phasers and cam caps gave me issues. I know the 4.6 is ohv but did it also suffer from phaser issues? May be worth looking into with those miles

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          I had an 06 with the 5.4 and loved it until phasers and cam caps gave me issues. I know the 4.6 is ohv but did it also suffer from phaser issues? May be worth looking into with those miles
          They are built the same, but the 5.4 only seems to have those issues. FWIW, I sell a bunch of 05+ 5.4's, and I cant remember when the last call for a 4.6 truck engine came in.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Is that the 3v or the 2v? If it's the 2v I would definitively take the 5.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              Ford kept the 2v 4.6 in until 2010. IIRC you could get the 3v 4.6 in ~08
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                just need reliable. the ford is 5 years newer less miles and a little nicer for 750 more.

the chevy is a LT package though with nice features
                I think the fit and finish on a 04+ f150 will be leaps and bounds better than the 2k Silverado.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                They are built the same, but the 5.4 only seems to have those issues. FWIW, I sell a bunch of 05+ 5.4's, and I cant remember when the last call for a 4.6 truck engine came in.
                Good to know!

Comment

What kind of prices?

Comment

7500. really just need a reliable 4x4 truck that isnt beat to hell. ive decided to move out of north texas heading to idaho just because. tired of living here for many reasons.

anyways the f150 was junk. body and interior beat up. they hid it well in their craigslist ad. assholes

the chevy was overall nice @6.5k

any ideas, leads? i've exhausted cl, autotrader, etc....

probably just pick up the silverado tomorrow

Comment

That seems spendy for an 00, unless ridiculously clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                        That seems spendy for an 00, unless ridiculously clean.
                        it's not insanely clean, but look at the market for these trucks. 6, 7, 8, 9 grand for trucks with near 200k miles. crazy

motor is dead quiet, lt package, leather, heated seats, etc... everything works. straight body, one area on the drivers rear bumper area where his wife backed into the mailbox. they straightened it out but paint sucks right there

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                          it's not insanely clean, but look at the market for these trucks. 6, 7, 8, 9 grand for trucks with near 200k miles. crazy

motor is dead quiet, lt package, leather, heated seats, etc... everything works. straight body, one area on the drivers rear bumper area where his wife backed into the mailbox. they straightened it out but paint sucks right there

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5953233910.html
                          Not terrible. Still spendy AF.

Comment

slim pickins.

i need, 4x4, auto, ext cab or better, and a bed with 150k miles or less, 7.5k or less. not asking too much right? wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              3V makes a tiny bit more power, but is a bigger turd IMO.
                              Originally posted by Buzzo
                              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X