Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure gauge reads 0 + CEL

Does anyone have any suggestions for this... 07 GMC Sierra, 5.3l

I was driving home yesterday when I noticed my CEL light came on and oil pressure gauge was reading 0. I'm not sure how long it was on other than less then 10 minutes from when I left the store. I was about 2 miles from the house so I kept driving home.

Oil looks good. I had the oil changed 10 days ago and it appears to be fresh oil. No metal flakes but it does have tiny black specks in the oil. I'm not sure if this is normal for an engine with 190k miles.

I think I'll chance it and run it to O'Reilly's to get the code checked. Hoping it's just a failed sending unit.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure it's the sending unit, my wife's Tahoe is an 03 with 215k on the 5.3 and her pressure is spiked at 80... even with the engine off but key on. It seems to be a common issue on the LS motors.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

If it had no oil pressure it would have a nice death knock. Sending unit like mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
        If it had no oil pressure it would have a nice death knock. Sending unit like mentioned

Don't be so sure. My WS6 was showing no oil pressure on the gauge, but wasn't knocking. I drove it back to dallas from shreveport, expecting it to be the sending unit. Mechanical gauge showed 3PSI hot idle. Spun cam bearing.

I would hook up a mechanical gauge first, just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          Don't be so sure. My WS6 was showing no oil pressure on the gauge, but wasn't knocking. I drove it back to dallas from shreveport, expecting it to be the sending unit. Mechanical gauge showed 3PSI hot idle. Spun cam bearing.

I would hook up a mechanical gauge first, just to be sure.
          Meh, just keep driving. You'll find out.

Lol

Comment

Bang it off the rev limiter for a couple minutes, that will fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
              Bang it off the rev limiter for a couple minutes, that will fix it.
              And open header..
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

You can get a new short block at 7-11 for $4 so drive the shit out of it.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Those gauges were put there for entertainment and are frivolous.
                  They are shiny.

Comment

On some yeare there is a filter to the AFM/DOD under the sending unit that can throw some code. Pull it out with a pick and clean if you have it. Not uncommon to eat cam bearings either

Comment

Common on a chevy, you will need to get a deep socket oil pressure switch socket, or a deep socket 29mm if I recall correctly.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's on my list if parts stores are open in the morning. I noticed how the AFM doesn't engage now...i kinda like it that way.

Comment

Were all open new years day

Comment

All's well that ends well.

Replaced the sending unit, cleared the codes and all is right. I had to buy the socket, $10, but still came out less than paying the dealer. Got it done in about 30 minutes. Thanks gents!

Comment

I would have loaned you 1.
                              I am up the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X