Need some mechanic/troubleshooting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some mechanic/troubleshooting advice

Posting here because this section gets the most traffic.

So now the weather has turned cold and I have a 2002 F150 that's having no crank/no start issues.

I replaced the battery- it was bad and thought this was the problem
    Cleaned the terminals
    Checked connections on the starter for corrosion
    Started is a reman from previous owner

I turn the key to start it and nothing... no crank no start.

Moving the gear selector into N still no crank.

The weird thing is if I push the truck about 5-10 feet it will start. The problem only happens since the temp has gotten below 32*.

What could be the problems here?

bad neutral safety switch?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If it's not a PATS issue, I would suspect low fuel pressure. Being that this is only happens in cold weather and you have already ruled out the battery. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and see what it reads with KeyOn/EngineOff.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
        If it's not a PATS issue, I would suspect low fuel pressure. Being that this is only happens in cold weather and you have already ruled out the battery. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and see what it reads with KeyOn/EngineOff.
        I turn the key to start it and nothing... no crank
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          bad neutral safety switch?
          Do you think rolling the truck around would impact that? Its just strange that it only happens in really cold weather. If it warms up today it won't be an issue at all.

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
          It won't crank at all so I really didn't think it was fuel issue. I'll try and check that out though. I can hear the starter solenoid click when I roll the ignition forward but nothing...

It's just really weird it's a temperature related ordeal

Comment

I flat out overlooked the no crank part on my previous post. Given what you have described and it being related to freezing temperatures, then it's likely that reman starter causing the headache.

Comment

could be the starter, could be the solenoid. Might give either a tap when it does it, while the key is in the crank position.

Comment

That has been my focus and will try it when I get a break at work.

Its very weird though that rolling the truck in N then placing it back in park allows it to start. Nothing on the starter should move or change when i manually roll the truck back.

Thanks a ton for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                  That has been my focus and will try it when I get a break at work.

Its very weird though that rolling the truck in N then placing it back in park allows it to start. Nothing on the starter should move or change when i manually roll the truck back.

Thanks a ton for the feedback.
                  That's the part that makes me think neutral safety switch might be sticking.

Comment

see post #2 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/98...-problems.html

1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator - Gear shift has to be PUSHED UP to start sometimes :( - This has just started happening.. I have an 2001 expedition eb, I've had it for about 2 years - and I love it. I have a remote start (which is awesome btw - summer or winter).. anyway what has started happening is sometimes the...

Comment

Thanks JW... Been down that road. My truck wont start in N though. That issue of loose torx still starts while in N.

I have not been able to dduplicate the problem today. I hold the key for about 3 seconds (way longer than I should have to) and it will fire. Sometimes it cranks immediately though.

Its just a really weird problem. Even if it was neutral safety switch why would it only happen when very cold temp

Comment

Well it happened afain this morning

Tried jumping the relay but nothing.

Tapped on the starter while turning ignition... Nothing.

Rolled truck forward 10ft and it started.

Comment

Working...
                        X